Re: Competency Questions #ontology #rdf

Bo Weidema

Den 2019-03-13 kl. 16.28 skrev Massimo Pizzol:

Everything looks fine to me, I just miss some questions about impacts (and I realize that I am not sure if characterisation factors are included in our schema as properties or how …?). Examples:

(MP_Q1) What is the direct output flow of flow-object F from activity A measured by flow-property P in location L in the time period T under macro-economic scenario S?

(example: What is the direct output of carbon dioxide from steel production measured in carbon dioxide equivalents in Germany in year 2020 under the Business-as-Usual scenario?) à Is this just another instance of type BW_Q1?

What flows out of the steel production is carbon dioxide. 1 kg of carbon dioxide = 1 kg of carbon dioxide equivalents, so I assume what you are thinking of is rather if the output was of, say, methane, which can also be expressed in carbon dioxide equivalents under a specific macro-economic scenario, and depending on where in the impact pathway you define the equivalence. So the most consistent way of dealing with this is to follow the methane through the following ecosystem activities "atmospheric energy balance" and "temperature increase" as a result of the additional input of methane. These processes will have outputs expressed in radiative forcing and temperature change, which can of course be compared to the radiative forcing and temperature change from a kg of carbon dioxide, so that you obtain the impacts of methane in carbon dioxide equivalents at the point in the impact pathway that you are interested in.

(MP_Q2) What is the additional output flow of flow-object F from activity A measured by flow-property P in location M in the time period T resulting from a demand of flow-object G in location M in the time period U, all under macro-economic scenario S?

(example: What is the additional global warming potential from steel production measured in carbon dioxide equivalents in year 2020 resulting from a demand of 100 square meter of office building in Spain in year 2019 under the Business-as-Usual scenario?) à Is this just another instance of type BW_Q6?

The global warming potential (given a specified time horizon) is a weighting factor applied to each greenhouse gas. This is most easily included in a separate weighting step. This could be done by adding the weighting as an activity, but I would suggest to use the E matrix suggested in http://lca-net.com/p/2865 for this purpose.

Best regards