Re: Hackthon management/software development philosophy

Some more specific questions/suggestions:

- Expectation/requirement for CI testing?
- Expectation/requirement that people follow the Github PR workflow
(https://guides.github.com/introduction/flow/)?
- Expectation/requirement on implementation language?
- Expectation/requirement on (automatic) containerization? Standardize
on Docker or something else?
- Set up Python repo with expected directory structure, metadata, and
guides on how to set up docs/CI/etc.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 08:01, Chris Mutel via Groups.Io
<cmutel=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for Brandon and Tomas for bringing up the principle of test-driven development. I agree that this approach is absolutely correct, but I want to open up the broader question of hackthon task management and resource planning - do we want to formally adopt something like SCRUM (https://www.scrum.org/resources/what-is-scrum)? Having participated in several hackathon-type events, I have seen several examples of poor resource management.

I would very much appreciate someone volunteering to take the lead here, and create a small working group that will development a guidance document (in the Github repo) and prepare a presentation for Monday morning (March 25) introducing the approach agreed upon to the rest of the group.

I see the following key questions:
- How strict do we want to be following a particular system?
- How can we make sure that software/other efforts aren't duplicated?
- How can we make sure that each persons capabilities are being used effectively and in line with their interests?
- What tools can we use to improve the quality and usability of the code produced (e.g. TDD/BDD, documentation)?

We can create a hashtag (https://groupsio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202739265-Hashtags) for this discussion so people not directly involved can more easily filter it.

--
Chris Mutel