Re: Competency Questions #ontology #rdf

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 09:39, Bo Weidema <bo.weidema@...> wrote:

Den 2019-03-18 kl. 23.35 skrev Matteo Lissandrini (AAU):

the concept of macroeconomic scenario which is not present in the data
I've seen.
Please see the BONSAI glossary:
https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/bonsai/wiki/Glossary

In our last conversation it appeared this very important detail that
was missing to me (and so to the modeling):
The EXIOBASE data is a specific static snaptshot, in this data the
center is actually the activities and each flow is either input to 1
or output to 1 activity only.
When we reason about product footprint, then intervenes some other
data/analysis process that links in some way flows, so only at this
point we can record:
That the coal C4 from CM2 is actually used as the input coal C1 for SP1.
Yes, there are in fact (at least) two different instances of the database:

- one before linking, in which flows are only recorded as being either
inputs to or outputs from an activity

- one after linking (which implies the application of the algorithms of
a specific system model, as described by Chris), where each flow is
recorded as a flow between two specific activities

The ontology can (or should be able to) handle both these instances.
This is, of course, correct, though it does help clarify things for me.

However, perhaps this needs a different conceptual approach? Perhaps
something like a resolved exchange, which has isInputOf *and*
isOutputOf? Probably the language would have to be adjusted. But I
guess we need this for trading activities in any case.

Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22