Re: #softwaremethods Python library skeleton #softwaremethods

This is better directed to #reproduciblemodels - this working group is
a subtask of that one, mostly just to get a solid technical foundation
before the hackathon.

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 09:19, <miguel.astudillo@...> wrote:

Dear all

It may be worth adding a couple of references to explain why doing all this version control, documentation, and testing is important. For people who are well-versed in software development this may sound obvious but for many others this is totally new. Maybe some of this should go on the “getting started” guidelines.

Specifically, I was thinking about some papers like:

Ten simple rules for making research software more robust https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005412

Best practices for scientific computing https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001745

Lifting Industrial Ecology Modeling to a New Level of Quality and Transparency: A Call for More Transparent Publications and a Collaborative Open Source Software Framework https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jiec.12316

I’ve just seen this intro to version control https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1004668.

Best,

Miguel (Astudillo)