Next steps for post-hackathon Bonsai

Tom

In the Friday morning meeting, Chris gave his ideas for next steps to capitalise on the outputs and momentum of this week. I took some notes (as shared on Slack) and have improved them a littie for sharing here. Comment and suggestions very welcome!

Outreach
We should reach out to other communities and invite them into the fold: what kind of communities to reach out to, and how best to do it?

Grants
With or without Bonsai as official partner
For example: open energy data -> September deadline. H2020 proposal

System Improvement iterations
Assumptions we don't need in Exiobase -> simplify the logic of it
        uniform distribution? No: market. We don't have that information
More general system modelling choices -> average or marginal production values?
Quantifying substitution vs allocation (on specific industries/products?)
Data validation dash-board.
  • here's our model: CO2 emissions, trade etc.
  • here's other data: surveys, satellites, other primary data or model results
  • What's the difference between ours and the others?
Run it daily whilst the data improves -> are we getting closer to "truth"?

New sources of data linked to our model
New inventory data, and scripts for generating them
        e.g. population changes

Document now!
In one week, the fine details will be gone from our minds.
So go back, look at functions, add docstrings
Can we make the ontology more useful or easier?
Which things have we talked about but haven't yet built and uploaded examples for?
To help new people coming in to not get overwhelmed... These "potential useful contributors" need to be able to read and understand the code.
Reproducibility goals aren't yet met by the repository structure yet. Even people following the hackathon aren't all sure. Housekeeping and clear descriptions needed.