Re: Next steps for post-hackathon Bonsai

Some thoughts on managing projects/working groups:

New project ideas

We need a place where newcomers can browse outstanding or ongoing projects, to get some inspiration or see whether their skills could be put to use. I created a project board for this: https://github.com/orgs/BONSAMURAIS/projects/3, but I am not sure if this is the best layout. It could be better to have a repo called something like projects, where the issues would track each potential or ongoing project, and we could assign and filter by tags. In this repo, each directory would have a more detailed description of the working group/project, including where to find out more information (if applicable).

Communication

One of the most important things we can do is to better communicate our current working state, and where others can work on specific tasks. Our BEP on communication is here: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/enhancements/blob/bep4-communications/beps/0004-bonsai-communication-strategy.md. One of the things this proposes is to transfer the bonsai.uno webopage to a GH repo, and from some research and past experience a static-site generator would work well. The new project board proposes using Jekyll, which makes for trivial hosting on GH pages, and is widely used and supported. It would allow us to use markdown consistently for everything, which is nice (I hear the howls from ReST fanbois - I am one too:). Would someone be interested in dissecting the current site? If you know a bit about HTML and template inheritance, it shouldn't take long (can skip the donation page for now).

One vital thing would be a colorful vertical subway-style map showing how data progresses through the system, and which library is used at each step. Unless you are working with them directly it can be easy to lose track.

BEP voting

The testing strategy for a few BEPs was to test them out at the hackathon. If you are a BEP author or editor, please think about revising your work, or submitting it for a vote.