Re: Weekly Q&A with Chris

Brandon Kuczenski

Hi all...
Speaking as someone working remotely (and someone who is just now making his way through the email queue), I want to bring up a few points. Number one, I am 9 hours delayed from CEST, which means that y'all will be starting your day at midnight Pacific time and probably wrapping up around 9am.
For me, I am a night owl so I will probably be able to overlap at the beginning and the very-end of your work days, but I'm afraid I cannot go full nocturnal for the week. So I can be present for the morning scrum and the evening wrap-up (hopefully both will be on Zoom)
One thing this suggests is that my work can be to review the progress of the day and offer recommendations and critiques.
(It would mean that I'm an ideal person to work on testing and CI, but unfortunately I do not feel like I have the skills to do that by myself)
Anyway, I am already feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed so hopefully the next 3 weeks will bring some organizing and clarity.
A question for the group: where should I do my planning for my portion of the project? I have been nominated by Chris to lead the "reproducibility" working group, and I accept. It is recommended to edit the repo README, but this seems like a bad place to put anything other than cursory details. Where are we doing the real planning? Perhaps the wiki that belongs to the github repo?

Thanks,
Brandon

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 6:41 AM <miguel.astudillo@...> wrote:

Dear all,

I don’t have the notes with me but I can tell that the call was brief (we where only 4). Here is what I remember.

Working remotely: We talked a bit about how it could work for people volunteering remotely. I think the idea is that everybody is welcome to collaborate to the extent that they feel like. But if you commit to help, try to finish your task, so other tasks of the hackathon depending on it don’t get blocked. We also mentioned that it could be good to do a zoom call at the end of each day to summarise what has been going on.

Data formats: some of the data in the google drive of bonsai is on google spreadsheets. We talked about convert them to a machine-readable format and move them from there. The frictionless data package (https://frictionlessdata.io/) was proposed. We want people to facilitate the collaboration, and formats like csv are quite accessible to a wide public.

Best, Miguel

From: <hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Chris Mutel via Groups.Io" <cmutel@...>
Date: Friday, 1 March 2019 at 12.22
To: "hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io" <hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io>
Subject: [hackathon2019] Weekly Q&A with Chris

Dear all-

I have scheduled a weekly Q&A session with myself for any questions or comments you might have at whatever stage your group is at. It will be every Friday at 15:00-15:30 CET, starting today, until the hackathon (i.e. 4 times).

If you haven't used Zoom before, this is a chance to test it out before the hackathon starts.

-Chris

Chris Mutel is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: BONSAI Q&A

Time: Mar 1, 2019 3:00 PM Zurich

        Every week on Fri, 4 occurrence(s)

        Mar 1, 2019 3:00 PM

        Mar 8, 2019 3:00 PM

        Mar 15, 2019 3:00 PM

        Mar 22, 2019 3:00 PM

Join Zoom Meeting

One tap mobile

+41225189006,,973425136# Switzerland

+41315280988,,973425136# Switzerland

Dial by your location

        +41 22 518 9006 Switzerland

        +41 31 528 0988 Switzerland

        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 973 425 136

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acD3QzOJCT

--
Brandon Kuczenski, Ph.D.
Associate Researcher

University of California at Santa Barbara
Institute for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5131

email: bkuczenski@...