Topics

#reproduciblemodels working group - getting organized #reproduciblemodels

Dear Brandon, Carlos, Massimo, Miguel

I think we have a good foundation on which to make specific technical recommendations during the hackathon. Brandon, would you agree to be the coordinator for this working group? If so, please put in a basic group description as requested in https://bonsai.groups.io/g/hackathon2019/message/105. I think you can use your best judgment as to the deliverable, we can always change this later if need be.

If you think it would be useful, we can schedule a videoconference this/next week to discuss. If so, please set the agenda.

Brandon Kuczenski

Chris,
Yes, I agree to coordinate this working group. I will do a turn on this hopefully before you all get started Wednesday morning. I will add a group description to the README and will create a new repo and add Carlos, Massimo, and Miguel as contributors. I will also consider a possible agenda for a kickoff call.

-Brandon

Hey-

The agenda was set up before any of the working groups was formed, and
will be substantially revised, based mostly on the the information
supplied by the working group coordinators :) So it would be good to
have a sense of what to expect and how long it would reasonably take
before the hackathon start.

Maybe setting up a call with everyone would help?

-C

--
############################
Chris Mutel

Brandon Kuczenski

OK, I added a basic overview to the main README and added you all as contributors to the reproducibility repo. Please commit with wild abandon.

Regarding a call- I am free after 9am US pacific (I think 5pm CET) Thursday or Friday- not unfortunately Thursday night / Friday morning. Another possibility is to use github issues and comments for discussion. First person to open a new issue gets a cigar.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon for setting things up so nicely - I very much recommend
reading the repo readme that Brandon wrote if you haven't aready done
this.

We will adapt the scope of this working group as we go along, but let
me give you the motivation for forming it in the first place.

I am increasingly frustrated with the limitations of conventional LCA
formulations. In particular, the assumed linearity and independence of
parameters in the matrices makes little physical sense. Matrices have
a lot going for them, but I see no reason that we can't get the best
of both worlds: correlated, nonlinear sampling for individual product
systems, placed in a larger linear system. Until we come up with a
giant equilibrium model, this is probably a reasonable step forward.

Here are the kinds of things where I personally would like to use
these product system models:
- Parameterized LCIs in ecoinvent
- A model of auto transport which is adapted to load factors, driving
cycle and context, and which correlates fuel inputs with air emissions
- A model of electricity grid mixes which samples from time series
data, getting a much more accurate picture of uncertainty across the
various generation types

But this idea comes with real questions on transparency,
reproducibility, and ease of understanding. This is why I think we
need some standards, best practices, and checklists. I know that
Brandon has already done a lot here, though as far as I understand
this was focused on a specific form of LCI model, not computer models
for LCI (if that makes sense). So, for example, tests are great, but
rarely help transparency, as most unit tests are focused on small
parts of a model or library.

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 at 11:08, Brandon Kuczenski <bkuczenski@...> wrote:

OK, I added a basic overview to the main README and added you all as contributors to the reproducibility repo. Please commit with wild abandon.

Regarding a call- I am free after 9am US pacific (I think 5pm CET) Thursday or Friday- not unfortunately Thursday night / Friday morning. Another possibility is to use github issues and comments for discussion. First person to open a new issue gets a cigar.

-Brandon
--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################

Miguel Fernández Astudillo

Dear all

I am  also available today although from 13pm “GMT-4” (I think 10 am pacific time), although talking today may be a bit of a stretch.

Otherwise at any time next week at “CET times” (not before 8am CET please !)

Best

Miguel F. Ast.

OK, I added a basic overview to the main README and added you all as contributors to the reproducibility repo. Please commit with wild abandon.

Regarding a call- I am free after 9am US pacific (I think 5pm CET) Thursday or Friday- not unfortunately Thursday night / Friday morning. Another possibility is to use github issues and comments for discussion. First person to open a new issue gets a cigar.

-Brandon

Massimo Pizzol

Next week better for me, Monday Tuesday Wednesday. Doodle perhaps?

BR
Massimo

From: <hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Carlos David Gaete via Groups.Io" <cdgaete@...>
Date: Friday, 15 March 2019 at 15.23
To: "hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io" <hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io>

Hi all,

It would be best for me next week. Monday, Tuesday...

I think we can meet after  5pm CET so that Brandon can join us. So I propose Monday 5:30pm CET

Regards

Carlos

Miguel Fernández Astudillo

For me 5.30 is fine, let's see if Brandon can make it.

Best, Miguel

From: <hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Carlos David Gaete via Groups.Io" <cdgaete@...>
Date: Friday, 15 March 2019 at 15.23
To: "hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io" <hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io>

Hi all,

It would be best for me next week. Monday, Tuesday...

I think we can meet after  5pm CET so that Brandon can join us. So I propose Monday 5:30pm CET

Regards

Carlos

Brandon Kuczenski

Hey folks,
I can probably make 5pm tomorrow (9am tomorrow). 5:30 is also fine but I am sensitive to the hungry kids. I can also do pretty much any time later than 5pm so let me know if something else is better.

Here's a zoom link-

Brandon Kuczenski is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: reproducibility group

Time: Mar 18, 2019 9:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/222361622

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,222361622# US (San Jose)

+16468769923,,222361622# US (New York)

Dial by your location

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 222 361 622

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/awvzew4J

Join by SIP

222361622@...

From: <hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Carlos David Gaete via Groups.Io" <cdgaete@...>
Date: Friday, 15 March 2019 at 15.23
To: "hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io" <hackathon2019@bonsai.groups.io>

Hi all,

It would be best for me next week. Monday, Tuesday...

I think we can meet after  5pm CET so that Brandon can join us. So I propose Monday 5:30pm CET

Regards

Carlos

--
Brandon Kuczenski, Ph.D.
Associate Researcher

University of California at Santa Barbara
Institute for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5131

email: bkuczenski@...

Brandon Kuczenski

Hey all,
I created a number of issues in the reproducibility repo, and assigned one to each of you. Let's all try and do a turn on our assigned issue by the end of Wednesday.
Work can be done directly in the issue or through contributions to the repo. I will also try to fill out the written docs.

-Brandon

--
Brandon Kuczenski, Ph.D.
Associate Researcher

University of California at Santa Barbara
Institute for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5131

email: bkuczenski@...

Massimo Pizzol

Sorry guys I missed the call yesterday. I totally messed up with the time zone, I thought it was today, stupid mistake.

I read the minutes and it’s alright will work on the specific task I have been assigned to.

BR
Massimo

Miguel Fernández Astudillo

Upss… Sorry, me too, I was convinced it was today. Yesterday by that time I was in front of the computer :/.

I will try to catch up with the minutes

Miguel (F.A.)