Topics

Default BONSAI licenses

We should choose a default license for the code and data produced by the hackathon. My first suggestion would be BSD 3-clause (https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause) for source code, and Creative Commons attribution international for the data (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).

- Why not GPL/CC non-commercial? At this point I don't see a reason to adopt a more restrictive license that could limit the spread of BONSAI's ideas and technologies into the private sector.

- Why not CC share-alike? Again, potentially excluding potential contributors seem premature at this stage of the project.

However, this is just my opinion!!! For the work that you do, you can of course choose what licenses to use. And this is a controversial subject, so feel free to express your opinion.

Brandon Kuczenski

I second BSD.

--
Brandon Kuczenski, Ph.D.
Associate Researcher

University of California at Santa Barbara
Institute for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5131

email: bkuczenski@...

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)

I'm fine with BSD for code.

I wanted to ask this before,  how does the  EXIOBASE EULA [1] affects this project?

Cheers,
Matteo

[1]https://www.exiobase.eu/index.php/terms-of-use

________________________________
[...]

############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)

I missed that, thanks!

Nice, so for the data we shall use the CC share-alike as well?

Best,

[...]

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 at 10:40, Matteo Lissandrini (AAU) <matteo@...> wrote:

I missed that, thanks!
Well, clicking on the giant tab marked "terms of use" and thinking
that was the actual terms of use is a pretty understandable "mistake"
:)

Nice, so for the data we shall use the CC share-alike as well?
Can discuss during the hackathon, but my reading is that any data
product which builds on EXIOBASE would then need to covered by
share-alike as well.

Bo Weidema

Re. data licenses, we have currently this text: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/bonsai/wiki/Licenses

The idea is that BONSAI data should be as open as possible, but allowing for more restrictive datapoints (dq:observations) as well, so that the license applicable to any query result will depend on the datapoint with the most restrictive license. A query can then filter out those data points that have too restrictive a license for the intended application. The practical implementation of this requires a definite hierarchy of license types.

Best regards

Bo

Den 2019-03-01 kl. 10.47 skrev Chris Mutel:

Nice, so for the data we shall use the CC share-alike as well?
Can discuss during the hackathon, but my reading is that any data
product which builds on EXIOBASE would then need to covered by
share-alike as well.

Thanks Bo, this is a very good point! I have updated the language in the wiki slightly.

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)

This is very nice!

Here some  pointers to material that may be of help:

https://creativecommons.org/ns
https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Ontology_rights_and_licence#Comments_from_V.C3.ADctor_Rodr.C3.ADguez_Doncel
http://www.obofoundry.org/ontology/swo.html