Topics

Meeting #rdf #ontology at 10:00 AM (Zoom connection details attached) #ontology #rdf

Agneta

Dear all

Here is the link to join the group meeting for ontology and rdf schema. Those not in the group but just interested in the topic are welcome to join as well

Topic: BONSAI ontology and rdf group
Time: Mar 14, 2019 10:00 AM Copenhagen

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/655516320

Regards

Agneta

Massimo Pizzol

I am teaching at 10:15 so will join for 15 min.

BR
Massimo

Massimo Pizzol

Please send the minutes of the meeting. Here were important things discussed and decsions taken so we need them for BEP 0003 (and especially to stay up to date)
Thanks

BR
Massimo

Agneta

Hi everyone

Please find the meeting minutes in the attached document.

A follow- up meeting is planned on Friday 22nd March, 9:00 AM

Massimo Pizzol

Great minutes, thanks for sending them and I look really much forward to next meeting.

I’ll try to answer the question below:

>>>GitHub repos- BEP 0003 and Deliverables: If we plan to have two different platforms of GitHub. We must clarify on how they would be used by participants in the group. And most importantly avoid duplication of information Action – Ask Chris and Massimo on how they will be used.

  • In the ontology repository we include the deliverables of the WG activities. I.e. all the outputs resulting from the work of the group. For example:
    • The final schema + example (as a link or figure)
    • Minutes of the group meetings (as the one you sent…but in markdown format!)
    • …other products
  • In the Enhancements repository we put:
    • The Ontology BEP (right now it’s here, but once finalized will be then moved here via pull request), which is a meta-level formalization of the process and its results and is collected in the same place as other BEPs.

The difference if I understand correctly is that the deliverables are used for operation while the BEP is used for management. Therefore they are separated. This should allow for minimal duplication of information.

This is my understanding at least but please correct me if I am wrong.

Massimo

I agree with Massimo; let me add a few thoughts.

1. There is no perfect schema, or at least we won't find one in the next weeks. So I think at some point it is better to have something with holes than nothing, as the other groups are already starting to write code.

2. Similarly, it would be quite nice to get a interchange format recommendation. You might not think this matters, but if you leave it to us we will all choose different things. Python people like JSON(-LD), but really up to you.

3. I can imagine ending up with multiple repos as we start to write code on conversion to other formats, or validation. But for now your repo is a way to document *how* you came up with what you did. The ontology will be questioned, as there is more than one way of modelling things, and especially LCA people all have their own mental model. So it is especially important to be as transparent as possible (e.g. minutes in formats that are searchable without download).

4. The BEP is the end product of your work - in it, you need to describe your proposal in detail, including what you considered and rejected. Someone should be able to follow the standard by only reading the BEP, though it is allowed in the BEP to reference external material (test cases, reference implementations, examples).