Topics

#softwaremethods Python library skeleton #softwaremethods

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 21:41, tomas Navarrete <@tomas.navarrete> wrote:

Chris,

You mentionned CI scripts for conda packaging.
Pypi is to forget absolutely ?
No, but it is trivial to do. Ideally we wouldn't need conda (which is
great for complicated dependencies, but overkill for simple stuff) too
much. I already added twine to the basic requirements, for example.

--
############################
Chris Mutel

Dear Brandon, Stefano, and Tomas:

As I did not see much movement from your working group, I have done the following:

Please follow up and complete these deliverables, as people will be reliant on them from the start of the hackathon.

Stefano Merciai

Dear Brandon and Tomas,

I am sorry but I have withdrawn from the group to better focus on other issues.

Best,

SM

On 14/03/2019 23:28, Chris Mutel wrote:
Dear Brandon, Stefano, and Tomas:

As I did not see much movement from your working group, I have done the following:

Please follow up and complete these deliverables, as people will be reliant on them from the start of the hackathon.

--
Best,
S.

Miguel Fernández Astudillo

Dear all

It may be worth adding a couple of references to explain why doing all this version control, documentation, and testing is important. For people who are well-versed in software development this may sound obvious but for many others this is totally new. Maybe some of this should go on the “getting started” guidelines.

Specifically, I was thinking about some papers like:

I’ve just seen this intro to version control https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1004668.

Best,

Miguel (Astudillo)

I am sorry but I have withdrawn from the group to better focus on other issues.

Best,

SM

On 14/03/2019 23:28, Chris Mutel wrote:

Dear Brandon, Stefano, and Tomas:

As I did not see much movement from your working group, I have done the following:

Please follow up and complete these deliverables, as people will be reliant on them from the start of the hackathon.

--
Best,
S.

This is better directed to #reproduciblemodels - this working group is
a subtask of that one, mostly just to get a solid technical foundation
before the hackathon.

Ten simple rules for making research software more robust https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005412

Best practices for scientific computing https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001745

Lifting Industrial Ecology Modeling to a New Level of Quality and Transparency: A Call for More Transparent Publications and a Collaborative Open Source Software Framework https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jiec.12316

I’ve just seen this intro to version control https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1004668.

Best,

Miguel (Astudillo)

I am sorry but I have withdrawn from the group to better focus on other issues.

Best,

SM

On 14/03/2019 23:28, Chris Mutel wrote:

Dear Brandon, Stefano, and Tomas:

As I did not see much movement from your working group, I have done the following:

Filled out the python library skeleton. You can see what needs to be completed before the hackathon here.
Added a description of your group to the hackathon readme.
Added cards on the two deliverables to the hackathon project board.