Re: #rdf #issues #exiobase #issues #rdf #exiobase

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)

Hi Chris,

unfortunately half of what you say is alien to me, but I have the impression that this is about the numeric data that the RDF converter is handling.

Will this require to write from scratch the Exiobase RDF converter? do I understand correctly or is this about some other data?

Thanks,

Matteo

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo

From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of Chris Mutel via Groups.Io <cmutel@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 10:33:31 AM
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] #rdf #issues #exiobase

Sorry for chiming in late here.

+1 to the idea of only using the publicly available data, it seems to
me a very unnecessary and dangerous step to start using private (and
unlicensed!) data at the beginning of our journey.

I have, after some effort, convert the hybrid IO table to a tidy
format, with proper packaging and metadata in the data package format.
The data is here:
http://files.brightwaylca.org/exiobase-3.3.17-hybrid.tar, the code is
here: https://github.com/brightway-lca/mrio_common_metadata/tree/master/mrio_common_metadata/conversion/exiobase_3_hybrid.
I would be happy to do this for the SU tables as well.

Using the tidy format, and standards packaging, would allow us to have
one importer that would work for multiple MRIO/SU databases, which
seems to me to be a big win.

Agneta, your diagrams are great, but could you explain *why* we would
want to separate out the individual country tables? Is this just to
get the raw country data before it is processed by the EXIOBASE
balancing algorithm? Separating out the country tables from the
provided data seems easy but unnecessary.

-C

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 16:35, Bo Weidema <bo.weidema@...> wrote:
>
> Dear Stefano,
>
> Thanks for your reflections. In the long run, BONSAI should of course not rely on Exiobase or any other processed data, but on as a "raw" data source as possible. For IO tables, this means national Supply Use data, obtained directly from the national statistical agencies etc. Back-calulating these from Exiobase would in all cases just be a temporary solution to get a good start with a relatively complete database.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bo
>
> Den 2019-11-04 kl. 11.16 skrev Stefano Merciai:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I can provide the Exiobase hybrid version of national tables but I wonder whether this is the way to go. I try to explain it better.
>
> Exiobase is a multi-regional IO database, therefore on the website you can only download MR-tables. Of course who contributes to Exiobase has as intermediate result the national tables stored somewhere but not on the official Exiobase website. But then, does Bonsai rely on publicly available data or on 'confidential' data? In the light of future updates, what is the best way to go?
>
> And what if we intend to use other world IO databases such as the WIOD? We will have the same problem.
>
> However, moving from MR-tables to a national table is a quite simple procedure because we just need to aggregate rows and columns. This procedure could be easily generalized for future imports of multi-regional databases. The only issue I see here is that Exiobase will be stored twice on the Bonsai storage.
>
> Best,
>
> Stefano
>
>
>
>
> On 01/11/2019 15:45, Bo Weidema wrote:
>
> I am aware that we have priority access as consortium members. I was hinting to making this publicly available...
>
> Bo
>
> Den 2019-11-01 kl. 15.28 skrev Konstantin Stadler:
>
> Hi Bo/2.0 LCA Team
>
> You (trough Stefano) have access to the repository having the country SUT tables. I can add more people to the box account if needed.
>
> Best
> Konstantin
>
> On 30/10/2019 17:35, Bo Weidema wrote:
>
> Den 2019-10-30 kl. 16.07 skrev Agneta:
>
> Do we need to have a separate repo that breaks the exiobase SUT from the website ? We could also get these country specific tables directly from Stefano.
>
> Why do the EXIOBASE consortium not just publish these on the website, saving us the hazzle of re-constructing the original data?
>
> Bo
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
>
> --
>
> --
>

--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################

Join main@bonsai.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.