Re: Base nomenclature - theory into practice

Bo Weidema

Hi Chris,

Would be happy to help, but what is your question? In BONSAI parlance, I think the "base classification" is the one that at any point in time is most detailed.

Bo

Den 28.11.2019 kl. 10.25 skrev Chris Mutel:

Dear all-

PSI and LIST are part of a consortium of research groups trying to
make prospective LCA better. To accomplish this, we have decided to
create a standard implementation merging LCI databases with scenarios
from energy system models or integrated assessment models. The
software would be in Python and based on
https://github.com/IndEcol/wurst.

As our aim is to support multiple systems, we need a reference base
nomenclature for products and activities. As far as I can tell, we
have invested a lot in building up various correspondence tables, but
do not have a lot of development on a base nomenclature with
scientific justification. (On the other hand, I think we have made a
lot of progress in how to describe any such system.) I assume that
such a system will start with a standard classification (e.g. GS1,
NACE, etc.), and then use industry-specific classifications when more
detail is needed (e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades). One important
exception here is electricity, where I don't find a standard system
that captures the level of detail we need (e.g. utility versus
roof-top solar).

As Tomas N. and I are responsible for the technical foundation of this
consortium, we have the chance to build it BONSAI-compatible from the
beginning - but we need to make decisions soon on this critical issue.
Any input from the list would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris