From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Mutel
Sent: 28 November 2019 10:26
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: [bonsai] Base nomenclature - theory into practice

Dear all-

PSI and LIST are part of a consortium of research groups trying to make prospective LCA better. To accomplish this, we have decided to create a standard implementation merging LCI databases with scenarios from energy system models or integrated assessment models. The software would be in Python and based on https://github.com/IndEcol/wurst.

As our aim is to support multiple systems, we need a reference base nomenclature for products and activities. As far as I can tell, we have invested a lot in building up various correspondence tables, but do not have a lot of development on a base nomenclature with scientific justification. (On the other hand, I think we have made a lot of progress in how to describe any such system.) I assume that such a system will start with a standard classification (e.g. GS1, NACE, etc.), and then use industry-specific classifications when more detail is needed (e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades). One important exception here is electricity, where I don't find a standard system that captures the level of detail we need (e.g. utility versus roof-top solar).

As Tomas N. and I are responsible for the technical foundation of this consortium, we have the chance to build it BONSAI-compatible from the beginning - but we need to make decisions soon on this critical issue.
Any input from the list would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris