From: <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Matteo Lissandrini (AAU) via Groups.Io" <matteo@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 January 2020 at 17.13
To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [bonsai] Import of Exiobase data #exiobase

Hi all,

in order to model correctly the data in Exiobase (and not only there)

we have investigated our current model of representing flows and quantity of flows.

Following is a (toy) example:

The Exiobase supply table represents a flow of `1000Euros` of `Cars` as `output` of activity `A1`

Yet, some other extension table will tell us that the flow above "at the same time" corresponds to some `200Kg` of Steel that is still `output` of activity `A1`   (although in some processed form)

Hence, 100Euros and 200Kg are different way to "measure" the very same flow.

The current name of this is "balanceable property".

In the first case we are representing the "currency" balanceable property of the flow of cars,

in the second the "dry mass of Steel" balanceable property .

We do not want to miss the link between these two instances and they are effectively properties of the same flow.

Hence the following model (in the attached picture).

The triple statements (in natural language) following this new model will be:

Flow1 output of A1

A1 has activity type "Car production"

Flow1 has object  "Car"

Flow1 has balanceable property P1

P1 has type "currency"

P1 has numeric value "1000"

P1 has unit "Euros"

Flow1 has balanceable property P2

P2 has type "dry mass of Steel"

P2 has numeric value "200"

P2 has unit "Kg"

Please let us know if you have comments and/or questions.

@Bo, please correct me if I'm wrong

@Chris, shoot your questions, I know you have them :)

A suggestion: if you understand what we are trying to do, at this stage refrain from discussing the actual name "balanceable property" (it might or might not be ugly)

and first see if there are problems with the modeling itself, naming comes as second step.

Thanks,

Matteo

---
Matteo Lissandrini