Re: Import of Exiobase data #exiobase

Bo Weidema

Dear Massimo,

Good with critical questions.

Although Matteo's example is correct, maybe the example would have been easier to understand if using as the second flow "dry mass" as such, rather than "dry mass of steel", the point being that the same flow, namely that of cars has many "balanceable properties" that can each be measured and expressed separately. The flow of car can be expressed by its value (in currency) or its dry mass (in mass units), but also in terms of its material composition, separately reporting its content of steel (in mass units), wood (in mass units), etc. all adding up to the total mass. Each of these baleanceable properties can be balanced across the activity, hence the name, in terms of "what goes in must come out".

So to your specific questions:

  • Steel is usually not in an extension table. I would expect Carbon Dioxide to be in the extension table. Or do you mean something else?

In the exiobase hybrid, the cars are reported in currency units, while the mass specified per material is reported in teh extensions tables. This is specific to cars, and is of course not the ideal way to do this. Exiobase is not yet a fully multi-property-layer database....

  • Are you saying that 200 kg of Steel is worth 1000 euros? Is this the relationship we need to maintain? Or that we need 200 kg steel to produce 100euros of cars?
  • Seems like cars and steel are the same thing here…

What Matteo's example says is that the flow of a car with 200 kg of steel trades at a value of 1000 Euro. Both pieces of information relates to the same flow and are useful for different purposes.

  • Are we talking about the same sector modelled in two different tables (a monetary one and a physical units one) or about one sector in a hybrid table?

Sector is not in the BONSAI vocabulary. If you mean the same activity and the same flow in different property tables (layers), then yes. The two (and more) balanceable properties can be represented in the same graph, but for balancing you should query only for one specific balanceable property at a time (althoug simultaneous balancing of all balanceable properties is possible).

I hope this helps?

Bo

Den 2020/01/21 kl. 17.27 skrev Massimo Pizzol:

Thanks. I have several questions on this mail from Matteo.

  • Steel is usually not in an extension table. I would expect Carbon Dioxide to be in the extension table. Or do you mean something else?
  • Are you saying that 200 kg of Steel is worth 1000 euros? Is this the relationship we need to maintain? Or that we need 200 kg steel to produce 100euros of cars?
  • Seems like cars and steel are the same thing here…
  • Are we talking about the same sector modelled in two different tables (a monetary one and a physical units one) or about one sector in a hybrid table?

I am afraid this confusion is due to the poor example, so I suggest using a more accurate one.

BR
Massimo

From: <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Matteo Lissandrini (AAU) via Groups.Io" <matteo@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 January 2020 at 17.13
To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [bonsai] Import of Exiobase data #exiobase

Hi all,

in order to model correctly the data in Exiobase (and not only there)

we have investigated our current model of representing flows and quantity of flows.

Following is a (toy) example:

The Exiobase supply table represents a flow of `1000Euros` of `Cars` as `output` of activity `A1`

Yet, some other extension table will tell us that the flow above "at the same time" corresponds to some `200Kg` of Steel that is still `output` of activity `A1`   (although in some processed form)

Hence, 100Euros and 200Kg are different way to "measure" the very same flow.

The current name of this is "balanceable property".

In the first case we are representing the "currency" balanceable property of the flow of cars,

in the second the "dry mass of Steel" balanceable property .

We do not want to miss the link between these two instances and they are effectively properties of the same flow.

Hence the following model (in the attached picture).

The triple statements (in natural language) following this new model will be:

Flow1 output of A1

A1 has activity type "Car production"

Flow1 has object  "Car"

Flow1 has balanceable property P1

P1 has type "currency"

P1 has numeric value "1000"

P1 has unit "Euros"

Flow1 has balanceable property P2

P2 has type "dry mass of Steel"

P2 has numeric value "200"

P2 has unit "Kg"

Please let us know if you have comments and/or questions.

@Bo, please correct me if I'm wrong

@Chris, shoot your questions, I know you have them :)

A suggestion: if you understand what we are trying to do, at this stage refrain from discussing the actual name "balanceable property" (it might or might not be ugly)

and first see if there are problems with the modeling itself, naming comes as second step.

Thanks,

Matteo

---
Matteo Lissandrini