Re: Outreach in the buildup to the hackathon

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 10:45, Matteo Lissandrini (AAU) <matteo@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,

I've taken a look at your post, very interesting!

One thing is odd to me, you have all these modules that describe their functionality/values, and then you have "Jena database instance".

It is like you were describing how a car is made and said "A car as an engine, a steering wheel, brakes, and wheels with Michelin(r) tires"
(Complete aside, and not important, but: as a private person, you
never need to use someone else copyright/trademark/whatever symbols.
You aren't selling anything, there is no question over IP. People do
this in published papers and it drives me crazy!)

I think you can safely write there something like "RDF triplestore" or "Semantic Aware DBMS" or "Linked Data Platform" depending on what you really need. Is it just store and query RDF, for instance? Do you need first order logic reasoning? etc..
This is an excellent question! We chose (and Bo has an installed
version at Aalborg of) Jena based on a small survey that we did a few
years ago. For the time being, we are envisioning this as a dumb
triple store, where actual data processing happens externally.
However, this is mostly because I and the other people I have talked
to are much more comfortable writing Python than trying to express
ourselves in SPARQL.

Depending on your actual needs then, Jena may or may not be the tool you need.\
Let's talk about it at the hackathon!

Cheers,
Matteo