Re: Change branch name in GitHub #project #communication

tomas Navarrete

Dear All,

I totally understand the reason behind the wish to change names.
Now, beware that:

The default branch name in Git is master.
git-scm.com/book

so, every time we create a new repo, or initialize one, we'll need to update this behavior (MAYBE until github does something about it ... which is funny, because they kind of have a dominating position in the "free git hosting" namespace ;) )

For very practical reasons, I would stand against renaming existing repositories and only apply a name change on newly created ones, and loudly anounce this in the README of the repo.
If this (default branch name) is configurable, then we should look to implement a name that is fine with us.

cheers,