Re: Change branch name in GitHub #project #communication

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)

Hi Tomas,

I think I can reassure you on practical issues:

1) so Github is already working on this: https://twitter.com/natfriedman/status/1271253144442253312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

2) the rename is maybe an issue for existing local branches/forks/clones with active changes, which I would guess are at best a handful.

3) when we create a new repo on github, creating the appropriate branch and delete master is probably a matter of five minutes?

Instructions to change the default branch exist already:

a) On github: https://help.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/setting-the-default-branch

b) On local&github: https://www.hanselman.com/blog/EasilyRenameYourGitDefaultBranchFromMasterToMain.aspx

c) automatically on new repos: https://superuser.com/a/1559582/762700

Thanks,