Re: Request for comment before BONSAI 2020 General Assembly #communication #dataliberation

Bo Weidema

I echo Matteo's comment :-)

Bo

Den 2020/06/23 kl. 17.40 skrev Matteo Lissandrini (AAU):

My comment is the following:

The real value proposition that none of the existing resources seems to have is the possibility to *integrate* multiple data sources.
*Integrate* is complementary but very different from *aggregate*.

Resources like :
https://www.globallcadataaccess.org/
are not dissimilar to
https://datasetsearch.research.google.com/

are aggregators of data. You can find a dataset, but then you are on your own in determining if the dataset contains the data you need, has the correct format, is coherent with your model, adapt it to your workflow, etc.

What I see on GLAD (but I only read the homepage) seems more towards the *integration*, which is good, we should keep a close eye on that.

I think the BONSAI with the Ontology and Mapping resources is a step ahead in the *integration* direction.

I think the next step is documentation, from LCA domain experts interested in integrating data (BONSAI) for LCA domain expert interested in sharing data (all the providers).
As we have a lot of tooling and work done and we just need to show people how to contribute.
With more contribution we obtain more use-cases, we bullet-proof the workflow, and we improve.

Yes, documentation is boring, and most of us don't feel are achieving anything if we are not writing code, calculating numbers, or running experiments.
Yet, I see this as the crucial part for "lift-off", otherwise our space shuttle will always stay in the hangar redesigning the engine for N-th time but never turning it on.

Best,
Matteo

---
Matteo Lissandrini