Re: Request for comment before BONSAI 2020 General Assembly #communication #dataliberation

Andreas Ciroth

Dear all,

very good discussion! To the USP especially, in my view it is at present (not using the technically correct terms here probably I am afraid)

  • Bringing together different data sources for life cycle approaches with the idea to do this in practice and
  • Be dogmatic about dealing only with free data

For me, and I have said this earlier, the second bullet limits the scope unnecessarily; the first we address to quite some extent at GreenDelta now (and have contributed to GLAD, created Nexus, the IO model builder, and are involved in the interesting US EPA activities now). There are other initiatives, but often a disappointment as the focus is more on presentations, and the procedures really slow (like, again, GLAD, where the current page is very similar to our Nexus site from 5 years ago, only that GLAD does not directly provide access to the listed datasets).

There are now unfortunately really few people who understand the technical side of LCA data, and therefore capacity building is good but also it is good to join forces. A limitation to free data makes / made bonsai attractive for providers of closed-source for purchase software tools (who can then use free data in their tools and continue to sell the tools) but misses in my view the full picture. In my view, the whole “supply chain” of data for LCA studies covers data and tools integrating the data, and should be provided to users in an affordable way.

All the best and I am looking forward to the exchange,

Andreas

From: <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Matteo Lissandrini (AAU) via groups.io" <matteo@...>
Date: Tuesday, 23 June 2020 at 17.40
To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>

My comment is the following:

The real value proposition that none of the existing resources seems to have is the possibility to *integrate* multiple data sources.

*Integrate* is complementary but very different from *aggregate*.

Resources like :

are not dissimilar to

are aggregators of data. You can find a dataset, but then you are on your own in determining if the dataset contains the data you need, has the correct format, is coherent with your model, adapt it to your workflow, etc.

What I see on GLAD (but I only read the homepage) seems more towards the *integration*, which is good, we should keep a close eye on that.

I think the BONSAI with the Ontology and Mapping resources is a step ahead in the *integration* direction.

I think the next step is documentation,  from LCA domain experts interested in integrating data (BONSAI)  for LCA domain expert interested in sharing data (all the providers).

As we have a lot of tooling and work done and we just need to show people how to contribute.

With more contribution we obtain more use-cases, we bullet-proof the workflow, and we improve.

Yes, documentation is boring, and most of us don't feel are achieving anything if we are not writing code, calculating numbers, or running experiments.

Yet, I see this as the crucial part for "lift-off", otherwise our space shuttle will always stay in the hangar redesigning the engine for N-th time but never turning it on.

Best,

Matteo

---

Matteo Lissandrini