Date   
opemod Aarhus

miguel.astudillo@...
 

Dear all

 

A couple of months ago I went to the openmod workshop in Aarhus. One of the “do-a-thons” was a discussion about the ontology of scenarios. They are trying to find common ways to express scenarios resulting from different models so that they can be reused and compared. We discussed a bit about Bonsai, and they are of course interested. I think they have given a lot of thought to the concept of scenarios and I see them as interesting potential collaborators.

 

The talk was animated by Martin Glauer

 

(https://github.com/OpenEnergyPlatform/ontology )

 

https://openenergy-platform.org/

 

best,

 

Miguel

 

Re: Collaboration with TRASE project

Elias Sebastian Azzi
 

Hello,
Very interesting material. There are also some businesses working in the field of transparent supply chains (e.g. https://www.sourcemap.com/ ; never met them, just came across).
mvh
Elias

-----Original Message-----
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Mutel
Sent: den 2 juli 2019 14:04
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: [bonsai] Collaboration with TRASE project

Dear all-

I just had a productive conversation with Javier Godar and Michael Lathuillière from the TRASE project (https://trase.earth/). They are doing some really nice work (and already have some nice results!) in parallel with BONSAI, and have similar perspectives on open data and the value of open science. For example, they combine tax records, customs data, real-time ship monitoring (via satellite transponders), agricultural extension service municipal-level data, and other non-traditional data sources to get detailed footprints of agricultural commodity exports from several countries (see https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=TIvEczoAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate).
They also have existing collaborations with partners many of us would know about. They are also testing a switch from a relational DB to a graph-based DB.

The next steps would be:

- Invite someone(s) from TRASE to come to the next hackathon
- Include TRASE in future grant proposals
- I will have another call with them in the fall, and will invite BONSAIers to participate

-Chris

--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################

Collaboration with TRASE project

 

Dear all-

I just had a productive conversation with Javier Godar and Michael
Lathuillière from the TRASE project (https://trase.earth/). They are
doing some really nice work (and already have some nice results!) in
parallel with BONSAI, and have similar perspectives on open data and
the value of open science. For example, they combine tax records,
customs data, real-time ship monitoring (via satellite transponders),
agricultural extension service municipal-level data, and other
non-traditional data sources to get detailed footprints of
agricultural commodity exports from several countries (see
https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=TIvEczoAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate).
They also have existing collaborations with partners many of us would
know about. They are also testing a switch from a relational DB to a
graph-based DB.

The next steps would be:

- Invite someone(s) from TRASE to come to the next hackathon
- Include TRASE in future grant proposals
- I will have another call with them in the fall, and will invite
BONSAIers to participate

-Chris

--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################

Re: ESWC 2019 Trip Report

Bo Weidema
 

Congratulations with the poster award, and thanks for the report. Much appreciated!

Bo

Den 2019-06-07 kl. 18.01 skrev Matteo Lissandrini (AAU):

Hi all,

I'm back from ESWC'19 in Portorož, Slovenia.
The conference is a well known venue for Semantic Web researchers and practitioners.

I've presented our work with the poster and we were lucky enough to win the best poster award:
https://2019.eswc-conferences.org/awards/

In general I've talked to other people that worked in building ontologies and we all shared the struggle in finding the right vocabulary, and how to better reuse the existing ones and the standards.
I've added a couple of interesting pointers as issues on github.

For validation of user-submitted data, WikiData recently  started adopting Shape Expressions
http://shex.io/

For statistical data other groups suggested looking into the "statistical ontology"
http://stato-ontology.org/
this one probably could represent the data that has uncertainty attached to it.

A tool for visualization and editing of ontologies:
http://owlgred.lumii.lv/

Among the people passing by asking for questions a person from Daimler expressed some interest, while a researcher from the German Aerospace Center was interested in understanding the Bonsai use case in relation to a W3C working group in which they are participating.

We also got general approval from some design choices, among which the Ontology of Unit of measures we picked.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Matteo

--

ESWC 2019 Trip Report

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Hi all,

I'm back from ESWC'19 in Portorož, Slovenia.
The conference is a well known venue for Semantic Web researchers and practitioners.

I've presented our work with the poster and we were lucky enough to win the best poster award:
https://2019.eswc-conferences.org/awards/

In general I've talked to other people that worked in building ontologies and we all shared the struggle in finding the right vocabulary, and how to better reuse the existing ones and the standards.
I've added a couple of interesting pointers as issues on github.

For validation of user-submitted data, WikiData recently  started adopting Shape Expressions
http://shex.io/

For statistical data other groups suggested looking into the "statistical ontology"
http://stato-ontology.org/
this one probably could represent the data that has uncertainty attached to it.

A tool for visualization and editing of ontologies:
http://owlgred.lumii.lv/

Among the people passing by asking for questions a person from Daimler expressed some interest, while a researcher from the German Aerospace Center was interested in understanding the Bonsai use case in relation to a W3C working group in which they are participating.

We also got general approval from some design choices, among which the Ontology of Unit of measures we picked.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Matteo

Re: db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues

tomas Navarrete
 

I purged the volumes from docker in the db.bonsai.uno server, and since there was no container using it, the volume created for the fuseki image was removed.
This gave the Virtual Machine 74 GB of space back !

This makes me think that maybe, uploading 2-3GB of data requires a lot more than the the 2-3GB.

"Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)" ---05/31/2019 07:55:18 PM---Hi all, I was not considering disk space... it appears that the disk on db.bonsai.uno  is full (and

From: "Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)" <matteo@...>
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Date: 05/31/2019 07:55 PM
Subject: [bonsai] db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues
Sent by: main@bonsai.groups.io





Hi all,
I was not considering disk space... it appears that the disk on db.bonsai.uno  is full (and I've inserted only 2-3gb worth of data, another 10GB are waiting).
I'm not sure how/why this happened.

Who is managing the server, what can we do?

Thanks,
Matteo


Re: db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues

tomas Navarrete
 

I checked, and there are about 70 GB of data in the docker volume of jena, for the bonsai database.
(and since the machine ran out of space, nothing much works)


"Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)" ---06/04/2019 02:54:54 PM---Thanks all. I think I will move to the AAU one,

From: "Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)" <matteo@...>
To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Date: 06/04/2019 02:54 PM
Subject: Re: [bonsai] db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues
Sent by: main@bonsai.groups.io





Thanks all.

I think I will move to the AAU one,
I will try to contact Søren

Thanks,
Matteo



From: main@bonsai.groups.io [main@bonsai.groups.io] on behalf of tomas Navarrete via Groups.Io [tomas.navarrete@...]
Sent:
 Tuesday, June 04, 2019 2:45 PM
To:
 main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject:
 Re: [bonsai] db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues

HI,

Matteo means the test server we rented (from DigitalOcean)


I'll see what I can do.


cheers,


"Bo Weidema" ---05/31/2019 09:55:14 PM---Hi, Are you using the AAU server with Fuseki? There should be 500 GB as far as I recall. The bonsai.

From:
"Bo Weidema" <bo.weidema@...>
To:
main@bonsai.groups.io
Date:
05/31/2019 09:55 PM
Subject:
Re: [bonsai] db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues
Sent by:
main@bonsai.groups.io





Hi,

Are you using the AAU server with Fuseki? There should be 500 GB as far as I recall. The bonsai.uno domain should only be used for the namespace info.

Best regards

Bo

Den 2019-05-31 kl. 19.55 skrev Matteo Lissandrini (AAU):

Hi all,
I was not considering disk space... it appears that the disk on db.bonsai.uno  is full (and I've inserted only 2-3gb worth of data, another 10GB are waiting).
I'm not sure how/why this happened.

Who is managing the server, what can we do?

Thanks,
Matteo

--



Re: db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Thanks all.

I think I will move to the AAU one,
I will try to contact Søren

Thanks,
Matteo


From: main@bonsai.groups.io [main@bonsai.groups.io] on behalf of tomas Navarrete via Groups.Io [tomas.navarrete@...]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 2:45 PM
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues

HI,

Matteo means the test server we rented (from DigitalOcean)

I'll see what I can do.

cheers,

"Bo Weidema" ---05/31/2019 09:55:14 PM---Hi, Are you using the AAU server with Fuseki? There should be 500 GB as far as I recall. The bonsai.

From: "Bo Weidema" <bo.weidema@...>
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Date: 05/31/2019 09:55 PM
Subject: Re: [bonsai] db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues
Sent by: main@bonsai.groups.io





Hi,

Are you using the AAU server with Fuseki? There should be 500 GB as far as I recall. The bonsai.uno domain should only be used for the namespace info.

Best regards

Bo

Den 2019-05-31 kl. 19.55 skrev Matteo Lissandrini (AAU):

    Hi all,
    I was not considering disk space... it appears that the disk on db.bonsai.uno  is full (and I've inserted only 2-3gb worth of data, another 10GB are waiting).
    I'm not sure how/why this happened.

    Who is managing the server, what can we do?

    Thanks,
    Matteo
--


Re: db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues

tomas Navarrete
 

HI,

Matteo means the test server we rented (from DigitalOcean)

I'll see what I can do.

cheers,

"Bo Weidema" ---05/31/2019 09:55:14 PM---Hi, Are you using the AAU server with Fuseki? There should be 500 GB as far as I recall. The bonsai.

From: "Bo Weidema" <bo.weidema@...>
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Date: 05/31/2019 09:55 PM
Subject: Re: [bonsai] db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues
Sent by: main@bonsai.groups.io





Hi,

Are you using the AAU server with Fuseki? There should be 500 GB as far as I recall. The bonsai.uno domain should only be used for the namespace info.

Best regards

Bo

Den 2019-05-31 kl. 19.55 skrev Matteo Lissandrini (AAU):

    Hi all,
    I was not considering disk space... it appears that the disk on db.bonsai.uno  is full (and I've inserted only 2-3gb worth of data, another 10GB are waiting).
    I'm not sure how/why this happened.

    Who is managing the server, what can we do?

    Thanks,
    Matteo
--


Re: db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues

Bo Weidema
 

Hi,

Are you using the AAU server with Fuseki? There should be 500 GB as far as I recall. The bonsai.uno domain should only be used for the namespace info.

Best regards

Bo

Den 2019-05-31 kl. 19.55 skrev Matteo Lissandrini (AAU):

Hi all,
I was not considering disk space... it appears that the disk on db.bonsai.uno  is full (and I've inserted only 2-3gb worth of data, another 10GB are waiting).
I'm not sure how/why this happened.

Who is managing the server, what can we do?

Thanks,
Matteo
--

db.bonsai.uno FULL! #infrastructure #issues

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Hi all,
I was not considering disk space... it appears that the disk on db.bonsai.uno  is full (and I've inserted only 2-3gb worth of data, another 10GB are waiting).
I'm not sure how/why this happened.

Who is managing the server, what can we do?

Thanks,
Matteo

Re: [hackathon] follow up meeting 5th May 2019 #meetingminutes #knowledgemanagement #issues

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Hi all,
I've commited code for the exiobase conversion and started the conversion (it generates 2.2GB of csv data, so it will take some time, do not try it on the HUSE file on your laptop unless you need to heat your room - also you'll need a lot of RAM)

I've also found some issues with the output of the arborist code. I've submitted a pull request.

If all goes well tomorrow I'll upload to the <http://db.bonsai.uno/> the Exiobase flow and activity instance data.
Please let me know if you have any comment/feedback.

Thanks,
Matteo








From: main@bonsai.groups.io [main@bonsai.groups.io] on behalf of Agneta via Groups.Io [agneta.20@...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 12:08 PM
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: [bonsai] [hackathon] follow up meeting 5th May 2019 #meetingminutes #knowledgemanagement #issues

Hi everyone

We had a short catch up meeting this morning, where we followed up with the working groups. We identified a few issues that need support, and the need for some deadlines to help in the progress of the project. Here's a short summary:

Need support:
--> RDF conversion of EXIOBASE data and Bentso data
     -- How do we re name product (e.g. electricity) coming from market ?
--> Correspondence tables – how to aggregate / disaggregate (e.g emission groups (e.g. HFCs) to emissions (e.g. HFC-134a, HFC-23...) as different emissions have different characterization factors.


Suggestions:
--> Please update github repos we are individually involved in
      -- Add issues where we are stuck (e.g. need info or support from other repos to progress)
      --Add labels to identify relevance of issue to reach nearest goals.

Project deadlines (f
ocus on closest milestones):

  • 21st June: Paper submission to Semantic Web for Social Good workshop @ ISWC'19
  • 30th June: Report on Hackathon for IJLCA
  • 1st week of September:  Presentation at LCM, Poznan

    Other news:
  • Full paper presentation by ML @ Slovenia (1st week June)
  • If agreed all manuscripts written on overleaf.
  • A poll to schedule weekly catch up meetings. Having meetings scheduled in advance will be useful.
Best regards

Agneta

 

[hackathon] follow up meeting 5th May 2019 #meetingminutes #knowledgemanagement #issues

Agneta
 

Hi everyone

We had a short catch up meeting this morning, where we followed up with the working groups. We identified a few issues that need support, and the need for some deadlines to help in the progress of the project. Here's a short summary:

Need support:
--> RDF conversion of EXIOBASE data and Bentso data
     -- How do we re name product (e.g. electricity) coming from market ?
--> Correspondence tables – how to aggregate / disaggregate (e.g emission groups (e.g. HFCs) to emissions (e.g. HFC-134a, HFC-23...) as different emissions have different characterization factors.


Suggestions:
--> Please update github repos we are individually involved in
      -- Add issues where we are stuck (e.g. need info or support from other repos to progress)
      --Add labels to identify relevance of issue to reach nearest goals.

Project deadlines (f
ocus on closest milestones):

  • 21st June: Paper submission to Semantic Web for Social Good workshop @ ISWC'19
  • 30th June: Report on Hackathon for IJLCA
  • 1st week of September:  Presentation at LCM, Poznan

    Other news:
  • Full paper presentation by ML @ Slovenia (1st week June)
  • If agreed all manuscripts written on overleaf.
  • A poll to schedule weekly catch up meetings. Having meetings scheduled in advance will be useful.
Best regards

Agneta

 

Re: Two votes - please participate!

Agneta
 

BADCFEHG is my choice

Not sure if we have a consensus yet on the final terminology

 

Re: Two votes - please participate!

tomas Navarrete
 

AECBDFGH

Re: Two votes - please participate!

Stefano Merciai
 

DACBEH



Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#69) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [stefano.merciai@...]

_._,_._,_

-- 
Best,
S.

Re: Two votes - please participate!

loekke@...
 

ACDFGHEB

Re: Two votes - please participate!

Rutger Schurgers
 

Hi all,

 

Back at the office it takes me some time to respond as I’m busy as usual. My preferences:

 

BACDEHGF

 

Regards,

 

Rutger

 

From: main@bonsai.groups.io [mailto:main@bonsai.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mutel
Sent: 06 April 2019 00:03
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: [bonsai] Two votes - please participate!

 

Dear all-

1. If you haven't voted for or against BEP 1, please do it now! If not enough people participate, the proposal will automatically fail.

2. We have had a lively discussion on the terminology used in the ontology, and have several different options before us. It would be nice to get a sense of the broader groups preferences through an indicative, though not necessarily binding, vote. When multiple option are present, ranked choice voting (in this case in the form of instant runoff) is a decent polling choice. So please visit the list of candidates: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/BONSAI-ontology-RDF-framework/blob/master/Terminology-discussion.md, and reply to this email with your preferences in order by letter, from first to last. For example, here are my personal preferences:

BDACFE

Please rank all six possibilities, so we can get complete statistics.

Re: #ontology Can we come up with a better term than "Flow Object"? #ontology

loekke@...
 

I agree with Matteo in this case:
"... the current definition is extremely clear, as it related the Flow and the Object of the Flow (aka Flow Object). [...] all other proposal are much more confusing (Flow and Exchange are two dynamic terms)"

 
/Søren

Re: #ontology Can we come up with a better term than "Flow Object"? #ontology

 

After a community vote on nomenclature, we are essentially tied between the following options: "flow object", "item", "flow item." This vote was announced as informative and non-binding, so it is up to the ontology working group to decide what to propose in BEP 5, and this discussion should be summarized and referenced in the final BEP. For the time being, it makes sense to continue using "flow object."

Here are the vote results (options are listed here):

Final average rank (where 1 is the best):
Flow object: 2.33
Flow item: 2.88
Item: 2.88

In instant run-off voting, the final tally is 5 first-place votes for "flow object", and 4 first-place votes for "item".

(While these results may look like they reveal a clear preference, they are quite sensitive - any single person changing their vote could flip this preference, and some people might be tempted to do so when the initial results are presented. Therefore I think the only fair interpretation under uncertainty is to regard these as tied.)