Date   

Spring 2020 hackathon proposal rough draft RFC #communication

 

First rough draft of Spring 2020 proposal is here: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/hackathons/blob/master/2020-spring/proposal.md. Please provide feedback on mailing list or by editing the proposal text directly.


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

 

To be pedantic (but, you know, it is literally in the BEP that we are
discussing), BEP0002 is accepted because one half of the active
participants in BONSAI (defined as posting to the mailing list or
committing to the BONSAI Github repos in the last six months) have
voted (quorum), and more than 2/3 of those voting have accepted the
proposal (consensus).

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 08:09, romain via Groups.Io <r_s=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

with the votes of more than 2/3 of the active participants gathered, the Bonsai enhancement proposal 0002 is approved.

/Romain
--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

romain
 

Hello,

with the votes of more than 2/3 of the active participants gathered, the Bonsai enhancement proposal 0002 is approved.

/Romain


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

Agneta
 

YES


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

YES

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo






________________________________________
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of tomas Navarrete via Groups.Io <tomas.navarrete=list.lu@groups.io>
Sent: 27 February 2020 18:57:38
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion

YES


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

tomas Navarrete
 

YES


Drop-by meeting tomorrow on Slack for #dataliberation

 

Dear all-

I will be on the Slack channel #relational-db all day tomorrow, happy to discuss / answer questions / provide suggestions on what people can get started on. If you aren't on the BONSAI slack, send me an email and I will invite you.

Hope to see you there!
-Chris


Re: Opening a second work track for BONSAI #dataliberation

 

I have started a repo with the Bonsai ontology (to the best of my understanding) as a relational database schema here: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/schema (just a beginning, there are still issues!). I have also tried to label the Github repos with the topics "relational" and "semantic" to distinguish these two work tracks.

I think there are a number of people that want to start doing things with data, and this would be a "quick and somewhat dirty" way to get some data into people's hands. In particular, we still have quite some work to do on preparing data for linking, and on finding a consensus system model.

Data that could be added now

Storing data

We need a policy here, I don't really think it makes sense to import EXIOBASE for each commit, or at least not yet, but we still need to know that our data won't disappear. Storing a copy in e.g. Zenodo would perhaps be sensible - discuss.

Preparing data for linking

To link, we need to choose the correct temporal, spatial, and activity scale. We can't just pick randomly (this methodology already exists :), so we should be creative. Finding where differences matter is always nice. My expectation is that this processed data would be entered into a new database, though this could change. Plus of course we need data reconciliation! This is non-trivial, multiple people are writing PhD theses on it.

System modelling

Need software to implement system constructs. We can choose existing IO ones for now, just need something. Someone should check on whether it is possible to adapt mojo or if it would make more sense to start over. Mojo is very table focused, perhaps the ocelot approach, where data is stored as lists of dictionaries instead of in tables/arrays is more sensible.


Re: Opening a second work track for BONSAI #dataliberation

Miguel Fernández Astudillo
 

Hi

As I see it, there is room for everything. The ontology track is quite revolutionary, but slow to implement. It is rare to find somebody with an understanding of ontologies, a vision for industrial ecology, substantial coding skills and free time. The slowness demotivates and can make the whole thing stall. 

However, there are incremental tasks that can have a more immediate result and are still useful for the development of an open-source well-structured database. For example (and at the risk of being monotematic) correspondence tables in csv are an intermediate result of the ttl versions and can be used by many researchers to ease their work and avoid duplication of efforts. I'd love to improve and document the current implementation of exiobase in brightway (so I can use it in my day to day work!). Or contribute to a data format that can be used to share foreground LCA models (referenced to background data and their URIs).

In summary, I am all in for incrementalism but with a vision of where we want to go.

best,

Miguel








On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 11:29, Benjamin W. Portner <benjamin.portner@...> wrote:
Dear Massimo,

What was expectation, what did you expect to find exactly in our website?
Something remotely related to LCA ;) like process models, lcia methods, or data to build such. I expected that BONSAI was a platform for such things.

You don’t have necessarily to contribute to ontology, if you don’t understand it and doesn’t sound interesting.
It sounds quite interesting as a matter of fact. But right now I have no capacity to dig into complex new topics like that. Maybe I can pull out of my work for your next Hackathon to learn more about it and contribute in that direction.

Based on what Chris suggests above there might be other types of BONSAI-related work where you can contribute to in the near future.
Exactly! That's why I like Chris' proposal :)

Cheers,
Ben


Re: Opening a second work track for BONSAI #dataliberation

 

Dear Massimo,

What was expectation, what did you expect to find exactly in our website?
Something remotely related to LCA ;) like process models, lcia methods, or data to build such. I expected that BONSAI was a platform for such things.

You don’t have necessarily to contribute to ontology, if you don’t understand it and doesn’t sound interesting.
It sounds quite interesting as a matter of fact. But right now I have no capacity to dig into complex new topics like that. Maybe I can pull out of my work for your next Hackathon to learn more about it and contribute in that direction.

Based on what Chris suggests above there might be other types of BONSAI-related work where you can contribute to in the near future.
Exactly! That's why I like Chris' proposal :)

Cheers,
Ben


Re: Opening a second work track for BONSAI #dataliberation

Massimo Pizzol
 

Dear Crhis

 

>> I would like to propose we open a second work track for BONSAI: data liberation. The goal is to allow for more work to be done on interesting research questions and practical challenges in a distributed and democratic fashion.

 

Concrete examples? I have a hard time understanding what you have in mind.

 

Dear Ben

 

>> I thought I was your audience. But after visiting your website I was not so sure.

What was expectation, what did you expect to find exactly in our website? Perhaps you are not our audience right now. Right now there is a lot of focus on ontology because it is a fundamental brick of this Bonsai puzzle, and will allow to make new ground-breaking things later on. This is my understanding and vision at least. Agree the work is slow-progress due to various reasons (including lack of know-how). You don’t have necessarily to contribute to ontology, if you don’t understand it and doesn’t sound interesting. Based on what Chris suggests above there might be other types of BONSAI-related work where you can contribute to in the near future.

 

Massimo

 


Re: Opening a second work track for BONSAI #dataliberation

 

Hi all,

Disclaimer: I'm new to BONSAI. I know nothing about ontologies. And I have probably spent less than 30 minutes reading the available documentation. I guess I qualify as an interested outsider so please take my statements as such.

When I first heard about BONSAI, I was quite excited. I understood it as an open-source, collaborative LCA database which I really believe is needed right now in our field (there are millions of studies and sources for LCA data but they are scattered and sometimes inaccessible). However, my excitement was dampened when I visited your project site for the first time. Everything seemed to be about RDFs, ontologies, triples... I thought to myself that all this stuff is probably necessary to build the all-encompassing database that you guys want to build. But I know nothing about it. And because I don't understand it, there is nothing I can do to help. I am an LCA practitioner with an engineering background and solid programming skills. I thought I was your audience. But after visiting your website I was not so sure. I think Chris' proposal could be way to include guys like me in your process. If that's what you want.

Cheers,
Ben


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

Massimo Pizzol
 

YES

 

From: <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Chris Mutel via Groups.Io" <cmutel@...>
Reply-To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, 22 February 2020 at 09.48
To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [bonsai] #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion

 

YES

 

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 17:39, romain via Groups.Io <r_s@...> wrote:

 

YES

 

 

 

--

############################

Chris Mutel

Technology Assessment Group, LEA

Paul Scherrer Institut

OHSA D22

5232 Villigen PSI

Switzerland

Telefon: +41 56 310 5787

############################

 

 

 


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

 

YES

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 17:39, romain via Groups.Io <r_s=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

YES
--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################


Re: Call-in details for today's call (BONSAI <> TRASE)

 

Here are the slides from yesterday.

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 17:11, Matteo Lissandrini (AAU) <matteo@cs.aau.dk> wrote:

Thanks,

are there available also slides (if some slides have been presented that means ) ?

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo






________________________________________
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of Chris Mutel via Groups.Io <cmutel=gmail.com@groups.io>
Sent: 21 February 2020 16:13:46
To: main@bonsai.groups.io; Michael Lathuillière; Javier Godar; rosa.indenbaum@sei.org
Subject: Re: [bonsai] Call-in details for today's call (BONSAI <> TRASE)

My notes from today's discussion, please respond with any points I missed!

- Trase data is available already, should be examined by bonsai team

- Trase tools should be open access (commitment exists)
- Using python
- Big, distributed team
- Need to clean up and standardize before publishing
- Working on making available via Github

- Trase is willing to make more data available, but want to know what
is actually useful
- Action item for bonsai!

- Possible area of collaboration: Algorithms and models on how to get
to solve (optimization) supply chain problems with imperfect
information

- Blockchain for tracing supply chain impacts?
- Little support from trase administration
- Could be helpful in time series data of changes in trade patterns
- A key question is the "Stickiness" of supply chains (how respond
to outside shocks) (important to know what the relevant temporal scale
is)

Should invite trase team to hackathon!

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 13:36, Christopher Mutel <cmutel@gmail.com> wrote:

Time: Feb 21, 2020 03:00 PM Copenhagen

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/942489554

Meeting ID: 942 489 554

Agenda:

TRASE presentation (Michael Lathuillière): 30 mins
BONSAI presentation (Chris Mutel): 10 mins
Discussion: 20 mins

--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################


--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################





--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

romain
 

YES


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

Miguel Fernández Astudillo
 

yes

(Miguel F. Astudillo)



On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 17:10, Bo Weidema <bo.weidema@...> wrote:

YES

Den 2020/02/21 kl. 16.52 skrev romain via Groups.Io:
Dear community members,

BEP002 (https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/enhancements/blob/master/beps/0002-bonsai-project-community-governance-structure.md) is now open to votes.
The voting period will last one month (Friday the 20th of March).
Simply reply to this discussion thread by "YES" or "NO".
--


Re: Call-in details for today's call (BONSAI <> TRASE)

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Thanks,

are there available also slides (if some slides have been presented that means ) ?

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo






________________________________________
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of Chris Mutel via Groups.Io <cmutel=gmail.com@groups.io>
Sent: 21 February 2020 16:13:46
To: main@bonsai.groups.io; Michael Lathuillière; Javier Godar; rosa.indenbaum@sei.org
Subject: Re: [bonsai] Call-in details for today's call (BONSAI <> TRASE)

My notes from today's discussion, please respond with any points I missed!

- Trase data is available already, should be examined by bonsai team

- Trase tools should be open access (commitment exists)
- Using python
- Big, distributed team
- Need to clean up and standardize before publishing
- Working on making available via Github

- Trase is willing to make more data available, but want to know what
is actually useful
- Action item for bonsai!

- Possible area of collaboration: Algorithms and models on how to get
to solve (optimization) supply chain problems with imperfect
information

- Blockchain for tracing supply chain impacts?
- Little support from trase administration
- Could be helpful in time series data of changes in trade patterns
- A key question is the "Stickiness" of supply chains (how respond
to outside shocks) (important to know what the relevant temporal scale
is)

Should invite trase team to hackathon!

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 13:36, Christopher Mutel <cmutel@gmail.com> wrote:

Time: Feb 21, 2020 03:00 PM Copenhagen

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/942489554

Meeting ID: 942 489 554

Agenda:

TRASE presentation (Michael Lathuillière): 30 mins
BONSAI presentation (Chris Mutel): 10 mins
Discussion: 20 mins

--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################


--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

Bo Weidema
 

YES

Den 2020/02/21 kl. 16.52 skrev romain via Groups.Io:

Dear community members,

BEP002 (https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/enhancements/blob/master/beps/0002-bonsai-project-community-governance-structure.md) is now open to votes.
The voting period will last one month (Friday the 20th of March).
Simply reply to this discussion thread by "YES" or "NO".
--


Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

Michele De Rosa
 

To be clear: 

YES = APPROVED

NO = REJECTED

I vote YES!

 

 

61 - 80 of 303