Date   
Re: Change branch name in GitHub #communication #project

tomas Navarrete
 

Dear All,

I totally understand the reason behind the wish to change names.
Now, beware that:

The default branch name in Git is master.
git-scm.com/book

so, every time we create a new repo, or initialize one, we'll need to update this behavior (MAYBE until github does something about it ... which is funny, because they kind of have a dominating position in the "free git hosting" namespace ;) )

For very practical reasons, I would stand against renaming existing repositories and only apply a name change on newly created ones, and loudly anounce this in the README of the repo.
If this (default branch name) is configurable, then we should look to implement a name that is fine with us.

cheers,

Re: Change branch name in GitHub #communication #project

Søren
 

I agree; I think 'main' actually is more precise (master has the connotation of dominance, irrespectively of the imperialist etymology) 

Re: Change branch name in GitHub #communication #project

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Thanks for the support Massimo!

To be honest me neither, but alas the fact that *we* don't do that association is quite at the core of the matter.
As you say, it is definitely not about what we mean but about other people being unduly hurt.

Best,
Matteo

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo






________________________________________
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of Massimo Pizzol via groups.io <massimo=plan.aau.dk@groups.io>
Sent: 16 June 2020 09:44:02
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] Change branch name in GitHub #communication #project

To be completely honest, I had never before this mail associated the word “master-branch” to the master/slave relationship. But I can see some can make this association and find the name inappropriate.

It is OK for me to change the branch name to “main” or similar.

Basically it does not cost us any effort, and if this can avoid other people feel bad then…why not.

Massimo

From: <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Matteo Lissandrini (AAU) via groups.io" <matteo=cs.aau.dk@groups.io>
Reply-To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, 16 June 2020 at 09.32
To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Subject: [bonsai] Change branch name in GitHub #communication #project

Hi all,
I would like to propose we change branch names in our github repositories away from `master`.

Here some more pointers about this proposal.

```
Language and words have a power and, unfortunately, some words and terminology we have historically used in technology (and in everyday conversation) are not neutral - they have an inadvertent and inherent ability to hurt some sections of our society.
```
https://dev.to/horus_kol/renaming-your-master-branch-2a37


```
Master-slave is an oppressive metaphor that will and should never become fully detached from history. Aside from being unprofessional and oppressive it stifles participation according to Eglash: “If the master-slave metaphor affected these tough-minded engineers who had the gumption to make it through a technical career back in the days when they may have been the only black persons in their classes, what impact might it have on black students who are debating whether or not to enter science and technology careers at all?”
```
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-00.html


I believe is in everybody's interest to move to a more inclusive language.

Best,
Matteo

Re: Change branch name in GitHub #communication #project

Massimo Pizzol
 

To be completely honest, I had never before this mail associated the word “master-branch” to the master/slave relationship. But I can see some can make this association and find the name inappropriate.


It is OK for me to change the branch name to “main” or similar.

 

Basically it does not cost us any effort, and if this can avoid other people feel bad then…why not.

 

Massimo

 

From: <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of "Matteo Lissandrini (AAU) via groups.io" <matteo@...>
Reply-To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, 16 June 2020 at 09.32
To: "main@bonsai.groups.io" <main@bonsai.groups.io>
Subject: [bonsai] Change branch name in GitHub #communication #project

 

Hi all,
I would like to propose we change branch names in our github repositories away from `master`.

Here some more pointers about this proposal.

```
Language and words have a power and, unfortunately, some words and terminology we have historically used in technology (and in everyday conversation) are not neutral - they have an inadvertent and inherent ability to hurt some sections of our society.
```
https://dev.to/horus_kol/renaming-your-master-branch-2a37


```
Master-slave is an oppressive metaphor that will and should never become fully detached from history. Aside from being unprofessional and oppressive it stifles participation according to Eglash: “If the master-slave metaphor affected these tough-minded engineers who had the gumption to make it through a technical career back in the days when they may have been the only black persons in their classes, what impact might it have on black students who are debating whether or not to enter science and technology careers at all?”
```
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-00.html


I believe is in everybody's  interest to move to a more inclusive language.

Best,
Matteo

Change branch name in GitHub #communication #project

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Hi all,
I would like to propose we change branch names in our github repositories away from `master`.

Here some more pointers about this proposal.

```
Language and words have a power and, unfortunately, some words and terminology we have historically used in technology (and in everyday conversation) are not neutral - they have an inadvertent and inherent ability to hurt some sections of our society.
```
https://dev.to/horus_kol/renaming-your-master-branch-2a37


```
Master-slave is an oppressive metaphor that will and should never become fully detached from history. Aside from being unprofessional and oppressive it stifles participation according to Eglash: “If the master-slave metaphor affected these tough-minded engineers who had the gumption to make it through a technical career back in the days when they may have been the only black persons in their classes, what impact might it have on black students who are debating whether or not to enter science and technology careers at all?”
```
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-00.html


I believe is in everybody's  interest to move to a more inclusive language.

Best,
Matteo

Re: CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Amazing, thanks a lot!

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo






________________________________________
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of tomas Navarrete via groups.io <tomas.navarrete=list.lu@groups.io>
Sent: 05 May 2020 15:15:09
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

The VM was blocked in a reboot cycle. I will investigate later why.

After rebooting the VM, I triggered a new build ( #50 ) and it passed,

I'm now verifying the state of the services.

Re: CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

tomas Navarrete
 

The VM was blocked in a reboot cycle. I will investigate later  why.

After rebooting the VM, I triggered a new build ( #50 ) and it passed,

I'm now verifying the state of the services.

Re: CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

I think we can move to a resource in AAU

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo






________________________________________
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of tomas Navarrete via groups.io <tomas.navarrete=list.lu@groups.io>
Sent: 05 May 2020 12:39:06
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

* The server is a virtual machine hosted at digitalocean (see screenshot below)

* I received a notification on maintenance on the "FRA1" network (where our VM is located) [see text below]

* the error on the deploy is at the moment of executing rsync (I'm _guessing_ right now that this is network related)

_more live updates on slack_ and I will post here once I have a solution.


Start: 2020-05-12 22:00 UTC
End: 2020-05-12 22:30 UTC

Hello,

During the above window, the networking team will be performing some proactive work in FRA1 for further expansion.

Expected Impact:



[cid:attach_0_160C1BA0F610D4B8_4780@groups.io]

Re: CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

tomas Navarrete
 

* The server is a virtual machine hosted at digitalocean (see screenshot below)

* I received a notification on maintenance on the "FRA1" network (where our VM is located) [see text below]

* the error on the deploy is at the moment of executing rsync (I'm _guessing_ right now that this is network related)

_more live updates on slack_ and I will post here once I have a solution.


Start: 2020-05-12 22:00 UTC
End: 2020-05-12 22:30 UTC

Hello,

During the above window, the networking team will be performing some proactive work in FRA1 for further expansion.

Expected Impact:



Re: CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

tomas Navarrete
 

I'm on it.

-----main@bonsai.groups.io escribió: -----
Para: main@bonsai.groups.io
De: "Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)"
Enviado por: main@bonsai.groups.io
Fecha: 05/05/2020 11:23
Asunto: [bonsai] CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

Hi all, Tomas,
the automatic deploy of the ontology is failing and we cannot understand why,
see here:
https://travis-ci.org/BONSAMURAIS/ontology

Do you have any idea?

Thanks,
Matteo

Re: CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

https://bukk.it/error.jpg

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo






________________________________________
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of romain via groups.io <r_s=me.com@groups.io>
Sent: 05 May 2020 11:43:22
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

The error is quite clear though:

unexplained error

Re: CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

romain
 

The error is quite clear though:

unexplained error

CI Deploy failed #infrastructure #rdf #ontology

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

Hi all, Tomas,
the automatic deploy of the ontology is failing and we cannot understand why,
see here:
https://travis-ci.org/BONSAMURAIS/ontology

Do you have any idea?

Thanks,
Matteo

Re: Spring 2020 hackathon proposal rough draft RFC #communication

arturdonaldson@...
 

Hi there,

I am new to BONSAI after learning about it through the lca-net website. Just like to register my interest in your hackathon, probably attending digitally given the current travel situation.

All the best,
Artur
--
Research Assistant, Centre for Environmental Policy, ICL
Consultant LCAWorks

London, UK

Re: Spring 2020 hackathon proposal rough draft RFC #communication

 

First draft is finished. I will be sending this to potential granting agencies/people on Friday, March 6; please provide comments (if any) before that, either on the mailing list, or by editing the text directly.

Thanks, Chris

Spring 2020 hackathon proposal rough draft RFC #communication

 

First rough draft of Spring 2020 proposal is here: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/hackathons/blob/master/2020-spring/proposal.md. Please provide feedback on mailing list or by editing the proposal text directly.

Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

 

To be pedantic (but, you know, it is literally in the BEP that we are
discussing), BEP0002 is accepted because one half of the active
participants in BONSAI (defined as posting to the mailing list or
committing to the BONSAI Github repos in the last six months) have
voted (quorum), and more than 2/3 of those voting have accepted the
proposal (consensus).

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 08:09, romain via Groups.Io <r_s=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

with the votes of more than 2/3 of the active participants gathered, the Bonsai enhancement proposal 0002 is approved.

/Romain
--
############################
Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22
5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland
http://chris.mutel.org
Telefon: +41 56 310 5787
############################

Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

romain
 

Hello,

with the votes of more than 2/3 of the active participants gathered, the Bonsai enhancement proposal 0002 is approved.

/Romain

Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

Agneta
 

YES

Re: #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion #bep0002

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
 

YES

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo






________________________________________
From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> on behalf of tomas Navarrete via Groups.Io <tomas.navarrete=list.lu@groups.io>
Sent: 27 February 2020 18:57:38
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] #bep0002 Proposal open for discussion

YES