Topics

A new #project board to visualize #project #issues

romain

Hello,

with Tom, we would like to suggest the use of Issues, Labels and the more general Project board features of GitHub to better visualize the long-term tasks described in the Wiki and benefit from the functionalities they provide (discussion, level of completion, assigning workforce, etc.).

This would allow us to quickly see who volunteers for which tasks, the priority level, etc., and hopefully better understand the work to be done and how far we've come.
Also, I find it particularly convenient for discussing and exchanging ideas within a given task.

As a try out, we've populated the Issues section with a few items (high-level tasks, as described in the Wiki), associated labels and milestones to them. Labels and milestones are jsut tehre for "illustration purpose" and we need to refine them, should we agree to manage tasks that way. You can them see then in the Projects tab within the BONSASAMURAIS/bonsai repo, divided in "to do", "in progress", "to be reviewed" and "done" categories. You can also filter out the tasks to be displayed on that board (should there be too many of them) by label (priority labels, for example).

Issues: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/bonsai/issues
Project board: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/bonsai/projects/2

Let us know what you think and we'll complete it further.

/romain

This looks great.

Perhaps we could modify the boards to be more reflective of BONSAI
stages? For example, I think we need something like "Concept-building"
for the tasks text mining and data scraping, as "to do" might mean
projects that are ready for execution, but don't have have volunteers
yet. Similarly, our review process (at least for now) is the BEP, so
instead of "needs review", we could have "proposed", drop "reviewer
approved", and change "done" to "accepted".

--
############################
Chris Mutel

Depending on the output of the communication plan, it might make sense to have this project board not be attached the "bonsai" repository, but for the entire BONSAMURAIS organization, i.e. here: https://github.com/orgs/BONSAMURAIS/projects/2. This would allow you to directly link issues from all the different repos, and would allow the "bonsai" repo to become more tailored to just the wiki (if that is what is proposed).

Massimo Pizzol

I second Chris’s suggestion to have the “High-level tasks, long run” project board as a project of the entire BONSAMURAIS organization (not in the “bonsai” repository).

In general, good idea to use project boards to organize issues, very nice feature.

BR
Massimo

romain

OK then, we'll try to move that to the first level.

/romain

romain

The issue though with moving the Project board to the first level (BONSAMURAIS), is that BONSAMURAIS is not really a repo in itself (it's more a like front page) and hence, and one cannot create Issues within it, it seems. It's a bit annoying. We can make a project board and populate it with Issues, but those Issues have to remain in one of the repos (e.g., bonsai). So the question is to know what the repository "bonsai" should really be about...

Massimo Pizzol

>So the question is to know what the repository "bonsai" should really be about...

I have filed an issue in that repo that is precisely about this problem, I.e making a more clear read me about that the bonsai repo should be used for and reorganize the files and code into folders

Michele De Rosa

Correct. My opinion is that the project board should be under the "Main" Bonsai directory because:

  • it is becoming increasingly hard to figure what has been posted where; it will become even more so when the resources increase. Thus, a "root" folder with the project board would be welcome.
  • several projects may concern the hackathon as much as the longer term Bonsai goals and some of the sub-groups for the hackathon too. In these cases, under which directory should the project item be listed? Under the sub-group directories, the hackathon directory or the Bonsai directory?
  • some of the sub-groups have some dependencies. It would be an advantage to have a common directory that we will all have to access to find the project board, regardless of the sub-group we contribute to.
  • the project board should have links to the tasks described in the wiki, which is un the Bonsai directory
PS: the name of the root GitHub, BONASMURAI (instead of BONSAI), is due to the fact that the latter name was taken.

Michele