Topics

BEP-0004 BONSAI knowledge management and communication strategy | open for discussion / seeking editor

Tom

Feel free to reply here.

Kind regards,
Tom

Thanks Tom, this is really exciting!

I would like to remind people of the process around BEPs. The BEP is a draft, meaning that it is still under development. It doesn't need an editor yet. The "working group" for this BEP is everyone, as we need your input to make sure that this plan seems reasonable. However, please do not edit the BEP directly (unless you are Tom) - instead, either respond to this email with suggestions and comments, or fork the repo, make some changes, and submit a pull request that Tom will merge.

Some comments on the proposal itself:

  1. There are some cases where an active voice is needed, as this would be the ruleset. E.g. "It is proposed that no other new mediums should be created without advanced discussion" should be "No other ...".
  2. We are already building web apps for the hackathon as subdomains of bonsai.uno, e.g. https://hackathon.bonsai.uno/.
  3. "Proposed action (in addition to these):" - the link is broken. Maybe it is simpler just to list the additional actions.
  4. "The Mailing List" section - I think we should be clearer here that the mailing list of for conceptual discussion, in addition to areas where a consensus needs to be found (both within the working group, but also places where useful outputs could be obtained from the broader community), while issues are for project management and technical implementation.
  5. "apporpriate"
  6. "This issue" - Let's list the issue name
  7. Testing plad should be two-fold, the first phase being at the hackathon with its participants, the second being outside observers who are vaguely familiar with BONSAI, e.g. Xioajin Zhang, Oleg Lavrovsky.

Michele De Rosa

Thanks Tom. Just a few update that should be in the text of the BEP:

  • the google drive has been removed and the file added to an Archive section of bonsai.uno as agreed. That bullet point could be removed.
  • Bonsai.uno includes now explicit references and links to the github, its wiki and the discussion list homepage. The "contribute" and "become a member" sections have also been updated as agreed before.
Michele

I have created a bonsai.uno repo, which we need to fill out, to eventually replace the existing content of the website (this is included in BEP 4). The current website structure looks like:

Homepage
    Challenge and vision
    Organization
        Static downloads
    Strategy
        Many working group pages
    Archive
        Static downloads
    Become a member
        Contributions

Here is the beginning of a new layout which emphasizes our concepts and work methods. I really think that the web page will be better for documentation than the wiki, as we can control the presentation more, and add a little white space so we don't have the "wall of text" effect. See the proposed BEP4 for a discussion of how best to use the different communication media.

Homepage
    Vision (short)
        -> Common ontology for LCA, MFA, and IE
        -> Open data pipeline
    By the community, for the community
        -> Getting started guide
        -> GH projects repo

    Common ontology

    Data pipeline

    Getting started guide
        Basic technologies

        -> Contribute data
        -> Build web apps
        -> Using the API

    Community management

    Data reconciliation

    NPO (BONSAI non-profit organization)
        Become a member
        Archive of official documents

One possible way to separate the content from the presentation by storing the text with some simple markup (e.g. Markdown) in a separate directory.

@agneta and @romain, let's discuss how we can each participate. Perhaps we could start by better planning an outline, and writing down what we want to accomplish. Feel free to provide your thoughts and concerns.