Topics

BONSAI Updates #meetingminutes #communication

Agneta

Dear All

Hope you are all keeping in well. We have some updates on recent BONSAI activities :

1) We are presenting our ontology and its application across several virtual conferences:
  • 'Transparent Sharing and Integration of Life Cycle Sustainability Data with Provenance' - Oral presentation by Emil R Hansen at the International Semantic Web Conference 2020. (2nd November 2020)
  • 'FAIRification of LCA data using Semantic Web' - Oral presentation by Agneta Ghose at Brightcon 2020- Open Sustainability Conference (20th October, 2020)
  • 'Modelling LCA data on the Semantic Web' - Oral presentation by Agneta Ghose at LCA Food 2020  (14th October 2020)
2) We welcome a new member Rudra Pratap Deb Nath. Rudra has recently completed his PhD at the Department of  Computer Science, Aalborg University. His research was on the development of integrated platform for semantic business intelligence. He will be continuing his Post Doctoral research at the Danish Centre for Environmental Assessment, Aalborg University. He is extremely enthusiastic to continue the work done for BONSAI from AAU.

3) Last friday (16th September 2020), we had an introductory meeting with Ken Bagstad (Research Economist, USGS’ Geosciences & Environmental Change Science Center ). He is involved with the development of data and models for the  Artificial Intelligence for Ecosystem Services(ARIES) project, which has developed web-accessible and stand-alone software tools to assess ecosystem services for environmental decision-making. The AIRES project members have been working with the use of semantics and machine reasoning to enhance data discoverability for several years. They are keen on further discussions on collaborations with BONSAI. We can potentially have another meeting this November to discuss the possibilities for collaboration. 

Moreover, they are happy to provide an exclusive workshop for BONSAI members on the use of their k.LAB software - A specialized tool to import, annotate, and publish data and models on the k.LAB semantic web, which makes them easier to share, reuse, and link. Our member Benjamin Portner will be in correspondence with all of you to find a suitable date for the workshop. 

Best wishes
Agneta Ghose

Dear all again,

1. Nice! Cannot wait to see the presentations! Will they be recorded?
  2. Welcome Rudra! :)
  3. Thanks for the wrap-up, Agneta! As announced, here are two doodles:
    1. to find a date to discuss opportunities for collaboration between ARIES and BONSAI: https://doodle.com/poll/8bpc4uebp3q4gs89
    2. to find a date for the k.LAB tour: https://doodle.com/poll/fdi6c43ad7gyt44k

As before, all options cover the 17:00-18:30 CET time slot, which works for Ken (located in Colorado). Please let me know if none of the dates/times work for you (Massimo?). I will then contact Ken and add further options if possible.

Happy voting!
Ben

Hi everyone,

I am looking for someone to manage the doodle polls for the next two weeks while I am on holiday. So far, it looks like no action will be necessary as most participants have voted for dates in mid-November. This could change any time though as the ARIES members have not yet given their vote. Anyone willing to organize a meeting in case early November turns out favorable?

Cheers.
Ben

Holy moly! The hardware requirements are intense. Do we have something like a central BONSAI cluster where we can run such code?

Requirements

To run all scripts, a machine running Linux needs to be installed. The machine should atleast have the following specs:

• Software;

• Linux Ubuntu 18.04 Distribution (with git, bash, unzip, wget and docker)
    • Python 3.6+, pip and virtualenv
  • Hardware:

• RAM: 64GB RAM
    • DISK SPACE: ´~500GB Free
    • CPU: 8 cores

Søren

In principle we should have a VM at AAU (funded by the ODA-project), but I do not know if it accessible and set up in a way that makes this possible(?) Maybe Matteo knows?

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)

Currently the endpoint is running on a VM at AAU.
(which is quite hard to reach since you need two different steps VPN+proxy machine access)

I think Benjamin is talking about machine independent from AAU.

Also, it is important to note that the requirements (which are not so large by todays standards -- Thanks Moore!) are just if you plan to convert the entire Exiobase.

If you plan to work on YSTAFDB you can do it with your laptop.

---
Matteo Lissandrini

Department of Computer Science
Aalborg University

http://people.cs.aau.dk/~matteo

Sent: 23 October 2020 14:52:18
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] BONSAI Updates #communication #meetingminutes

In principle we should have a VM at AAU (funded by the ODA-project), but I do not know if it accessible and set up in a way that makes this possible(?) Maybe Matteo knows?

Dear BONSAI-Samurais!

I am back from my holiday and there is news from ARIES. They asked me to move both our meetings, the k.LAB software tour and the scoping of collaboration opportunities, to December. In response, I opened a new doodle poll. To keep the amount of double work small I suggest that we use this poll to determine both dates: The date with most votes will be reserved for the scoping, the date with second most votes will be reserved for the software tour. Please let me know if you are against this procedure. I apologize for the extra work and hope for your continuous brisk participation.

All the best.
Ben

Dear BONSAI-Samurais,

thank you to those who have already participated in the poll to find a date for an exchange with ARIES. So far it looks like we have a majority for 3 December 2020 17:00-18:30 CET so please do not plan anything else for that date and time. I will leave the poll open one more week (until 20 November). Please inform those members who might be interested and have not voted yet.

All the best.
Ben

Dear BONSAI-Samurais again,

It is decided! We shall meet ARIES on Thursday, 3 December 2020, 17:00-18:30 CET. I sent out invitations to those who participated in the poll. If you have not received an invitation and would like to join, please PM me your email address.

For the k.LAB-Tour, Ken would prefer Tuesday 1 December 2020, 17:00-18:30 CET. Those who would like to participate, please block this time frame. Instead of sending out invitations I have a request: I would like to record the tour so that all BONSAI members can look at it at a later time. Unfortunately, my organization's meeting tool does not support recordings. Does anyone here have access to a corresponding tool and can set up the meeting?

Cheers.
Ben