Topics

Collaboration between US EPA and BONSAI

Dear all-

Though you might not have heard about it, the US EPA has made a major
commitment towards building an open data and open source toolchain for
LCA, primarily for supporting projects by federal agencies in the US.
This includes:

* Almost 10.000 activities provided as open linked data (in JSON-LD)
format via lcacommons.gov
* Very active Github repos on elementary flows lists
(https://github.com/USEPA/Federal-LCA-Commons-Elementary-Flow-List),
standardizing, processing, and releasing electricity inventories
(https://github.com/USEPA/ElectricityLCI), a detailed EEIO table for
the US (https://github.com/USEPA/USEEIO), and standardizing and
working with LCIA method implementations
(https://github.com/USEPA/LCIAformatter).

I think BONSAI both has a lot to learn from, and a lot to contribute
to, this effort. As such, I think we urgently should get to know each
other a bit. One possibility would be a 1-2 hour teleconference, where
we each present our work, and discuss practical steps towards how we
can help each other. Wes, please let us know if you would be
interested (BONSAI is an open organization, you join by posting to the
mailing list).

To everyone else, please think a bit about a) where people who have to
produce a complete working LCA system are choosing to invest their
time, and whether there are any lessons for BONSAI, and b) why we have
not been invited to be a part of this effort so far (what have been
our weaknesses?). BONSAI is both a concrete set of source code
repositories and a network of experts who are passionate about
changing the status quo, we need to do a better job of helping people
down productive paths and benefiting from our experience (see also a
few more mails coming from me this evening :)

-Chris

--
############################
Chris Mutel

Ingwersen, Wesley

Dear Chris and BONSAI group,

This is a great suggestion to put some effort into briefing each other on our activities in building open data and models for LCA and brainstorm about how we and where we might collaborate. Chris I will work with you to try to schedule meetings to get this started.

Regards,
Wes

Wesley W. Ingwersen, Ph.D.
Environmental Decision Analytics Branch/Land Remediation and Technology Division Center for Environmental Solutions and Emergency Response (CESER) US EPA Office of Research and Development
61 Forsyth Street, SW
Atlanta, GA 30303