Topics

Collaboration with TRASE project

Dear all-

I just had a productive conversation with Javier Godar and Michael
Lathuillière from the TRASE project (https://trase.earth/). They are
doing some really nice work (and already have some nice results!) in
parallel with BONSAI, and have similar perspectives on open data and
the value of open science. For example, they combine tax records,
customs data, real-time ship monitoring (via satellite transponders),
agricultural extension service municipal-level data, and other
non-traditional data sources to get detailed footprints of
agricultural commodity exports from several countries (see
https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=TIvEczoAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate).
They also have existing collaborations with partners many of us would
know about. They are also testing a switch from a relational DB to a
graph-based DB.

The next steps would be:

- Invite someone(s) from TRASE to come to the next hackathon
- Include TRASE in future grant proposals
- I will have another call with them in the fall, and will invite
BONSAIers to participate

-Chris

--
Chris Mutel