Topics

CSL or other standards for data source provenance?

Ingwersen, Wesley

Hi BONSAI,

I know that you have actively been working on data source metadata descriptions. I’ve been wanting to improve this for some of the tools in our ecosystem as well.

Has anyone looked into using the  CSL (citation style language) schema to try to apply it to datasets?

https://citationstyles.org/

https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema

A nice aspect of this is that there are convertor tools to put this kind of source metadata into Bibtex like

https://github.com/larsgw/citation.js/

for use with citation manager or rendering the same datasource citations in reports/papers.

I know this is not RDF based but since its JSON encoded it would seem there would be easy conversion.

I’d just like to know if any of use had considered CSL-JSON?

Regards,
Wes

Wesley W. Ingwersen, Ph.D.
Environmental Decision Analytics Branch/
Land Remediation and Technology Division

Center for Environmental Solutions and Emergency Response (CESER)

US EPA Office of Research and Development

61 Forsyth Street, SW

Atlanta, GA 30303