Topics

Two votes - please participate!

Dear all-

1. If you haven't voted for or against BEP 1, please do it now! If not enough people participate, the proposal will automatically fail.

2. We have had a lively discussion on the terminology used in the ontology, and have several different options before us. It would be nice to get a sense of the broader groups preferences through an indicative, though not necessarily binding, vote. When multiple option are present, ranked choice voting (in this case in the form of instant runoff) is a decent polling choice. So please visit the list of candidates: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/BONSAI-ontology-RDF-framework/blob/master/Terminology-discussion.md, and reply to this email with your preferences in order by letter, from first to last. For example, here are my personal preferences:

BDACFE

Please rank all six possibilities, so we can get complete statistics.

Massimo Pizzol

DCAFBE

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)

AFDCEB

From: main@bonsai.groups.io [main@bonsai.groups.io] on behalf of Massimo Pizzol via Groups.Io [massimo@...]
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2019 5:19 PM
To: main@bonsai.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bonsai] Two votes - please participate!

DCAFBE

Elias Sebastian Azzi

ADCFBE  is my current preference.

mvh

Elias

From: main@bonsai.groups.io <main@bonsai.groups.io> On Behalf Of Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)
Sent: den 7 april 2019 17:44

AFDCEB

From: main@bonsai.groups.io [main@bonsai.groups.io] on behalf of Massimo Pizzol via Groups.Io [massimo@...]
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2019 5:19 PM

DCAFBE

FYI:

1. The vote on BEP 1 is trending towards acceptance; the voting will stop if two more people participate and approve.

2. We currently have 5 votes in our nomenclature discussion. Here are the average ranks:
  • A 2.0
  • B 4.2
  • C 2.8
  • D 2.6
  • E 5.2
  • F 4.2

I have updated the table with the alternatives suggested by Miguel R. You are, of course, allowed to alter your votes if you want.

romain

DCABFGHE

/Romain

Carlos David Gaete

AFCED

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 15:54, Chris Mutel <cmutel@...> wrote:
FYI:

1. The vote on BEP 1 is trending towards acceptance; the voting will stop if two more people participate and approve.

2. We currently have 5 votes in our nomenclature discussion. Here are the average ranks:
  • A 2.0
  • B 4.2
  • C 2.8
  • D 2.6
  • E 5.2
  • F 4.2

I have updated the table with the alternatives suggested by Miguel R. You are, of course, allowed to alter your votes if you want.

Massimo Pizzol

DCAFBEGH

"The 'flow' of an 'item' from/to an 'activity'" 
Is quite close to the way we colloquially talk about these things IMO, e.g. "10 kg of carbon dioxide from electricity production". I know 'item' might be appear too generic, but we have decided that we don't want to accept the mental limitations of predefined categories (like e.g. 'product', 'emission', etc.) so the chosen term actually has to be quite generic to allow us to identify almost everything...

Brandon Kuczenski

I'm afraid I do not understand the voting options here- we are selecting from rows in which the final column is always 'activity', so we are choosing terms for the first two columns- but what do those columns signify? general and specific / abstract and concrete? "flow quantity" is not comparable to exchange or elementary flow or anything else in the table so I am at a loss. I do think that any system that doesn't recognize quantities as a distinct class is incomplete, but voting for "F" shows a misconception of what a quantity is.

If I were to apply my own perspective, it would be "abstract entity" and "concrete / observed thing" so my votes would be: BGEACDH0. I would prefer "Flowable | Exchange" over "Flowable | Flow" but it is not a choice.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM Massimo Pizzol <massimo@...> wrote:
DCAFBEGH

Is quite close to the way we colloquially talk about these things IMO, e.g. "10 kg of carbon dioxide from electricity production". I know 'item' might be appear too generic, but we have decided that we don't want to accept the mental limitations of predefined categories (like e.g. 'product', 'emission', etc.) so the chosen term actually has to be quite generic to allow us to identify almost everything...

--
Brandon Kuczenski, Ph.D.
Associate Researcher

University of California at Santa Barbara
Institute for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5131

email: bkuczenski@...

Matteo Lissandrini (AAU)

Hi Brandon,

I think if you look at the ontology for Flow

and at this example

you will see why I proposed Flow quantity:
in the current definition Flow is subclass of om2:Measure, because it instantiate the measured quantity of something that has been input/output of an activity.

I hope this can clarify a little bit the case.

Cheers,
Matteo

From: main@bonsai.groups.io [main@bonsai.groups.io] on behalf of Brandon Kuczenski via Groups.Io [bkuczenski@...]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2019 7:30 PM

I'm afraid I do not understand the voting options here- we are selecting from rows in which the final column is always 'activity', so we are choosing terms for the first two columns- but what do those columns signify? general and specific / abstract and concrete? "flow quantity" is not comparable to exchange or elementary flow or anything else in the table so I am at a loss. I do think that any system that doesn't recognize quantities as a distinct class is incomplete, but voting for "F" shows a misconception of what a quantity is.

If I were to apply my own perspective, it would be "abstract entity" and "concrete / observed thing" so my votes would be: BGEACDH0. I would prefer "Flowable | Exchange" over "Flowable | Flow" but it is not a choice.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM Massimo Pizzol <massimo@...> wrote:
DCAFBEGH

--
Brandon Kuczenski, Ph.D.
Associate Researcher

University of California at Santa Barbara
Institute for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5131

email: bkuczenski@...

Rutger Schurgers

Hi all,

Back at the office it takes me some time to respond as I’m busy as usual. My preferences:

BACDEHGF

Regards,

Rutger

From: main@bonsai.groups.io [mailto:main@bonsai.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mutel
Sent: 06 April 2019 00:03
Subject: [bonsai] Two votes - please participate!

Dear all-

1. If you haven't voted for or against BEP 1, please do it now! If not enough people participate, the proposal will automatically fail.

2. We have had a lively discussion on the terminology used in the ontology, and have several different options before us. It would be nice to get a sense of the broader groups preferences through an indicative, though not necessarily binding, vote. When multiple option are present, ranked choice voting (in this case in the form of instant runoff) is a decent polling choice. So please visit the list of candidates: https://github.com/BONSAMURAIS/BONSAI-ontology-RDF-framework/blob/master/Terminology-discussion.md, and reply to this email with your preferences in order by letter, from first to last. For example, here are my personal preferences:

BDACFE

Please rank all six possibilities, so we can get complete statistics.

loekke@...

ACDFGHEB

Stefano Merciai

DACBEH

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#69) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [stefano.merciai@...]

_._,_._,_

-- 
Best,
S.

tomas Navarrete

AECBDFGH

Agneta

BADCFEHG is my choice

Not sure if we have a consensus yet on the final terminology